Somehwere Between Hell and Zombies

let's go

We got up and got dressed as fast as we could, for sleep still hadn't left our eyes,the night had flown by too quickly. As we grabbed our weapons, Derek came over and gave me a small hug and kiss. "I love you baby." he said, leaving me standing still, unable to respond. It was the first time he had ever said that to me. Was he worried that we weren't going to make it? when I was finally able to find my voice, I mumbled," I love you too." We then went to the door and opened it a bit. "Oh my god!" we both said as we starred dumbly outside.
The remainder of the zombies from our town stood right outside the door. Some seemed to be looking at us, while others just simply stood there. All had dried blood on their faces meaning they had murdered their family and friends who hadn't been lucky enough to change before the people they loved did.
We both slowly backed up and shut the door. Did they know that we were here? or was it sheer coincidence that they stood outside the very house that we decided to seek shelter in?
To this day we aren't really sure why these monsters do what they do.
Once the door was closed we ran as quietly as we could to the back door, the coast was clear and as we closed the door, we could hear the oak door up front shattering as it was broken down. To be safe we stuck to back yards as we made our way from the house. We didn't know if they could smell us or not so we didn't walk in a straight line