‹ Prequel: Watching the Stars

This is Home

Into the Forest

The sun was well into the sky when Peter and Edmund emerged from the How. Their armored bodies were bathed in sunlight and they were drowned out by countless cheers and roars. They both gulped, but didn’t dare look anywhere but their path ahead of them.

“Where is Caspian?” Edmund whispered to his brother.

“I don’t know,” Peter answered, but drew his sword. The Narnians all cheered again behind him, as he stared across the field at the Telmarines.

“He’d better get here soon,” Edmund muttered darkly.

* * *

Susan and Lucy departed from the secret passage behind the How on their horse. They were in a desperate bid to find Aslan in the woods.

“Are you sure he’ll be here?” Susan asked over the sound of the horse’s gallops. Her gaze stayed ahead, skimming throughout the trees for the Great Lion.

“I’m sure!” Lucy cried, as if to prove a point.

Susan only sighed as they rode further into the forest, the light streaming in from over the trees. Lucy frowned at them, wondering if they would ever come alive again. She felt the smallest whisper of wind on her neck, but shivered it off.

Suddenly there were loud cries from behind them, and then Lucy turned her head to see (for Susan was concentrated on the paths ahead of them).

“They’ve seen us!” she shouted to her sister.

Susan tried to make the horse pick up its pace, but they were already riding so fast. They only hoped that they could encounter Aslan soon.

* * *

“Caspian!” Estella whispered in wonder. “I see a horse, over there!”

They had stopped in a clearing, for the trip was taking longer than Caspian had thought it would. Estella was exhausted and couldn’t move too quickly.

Caspian sat up. “Where?” he replied groggily.

“Over there!” Estella pointed as the horse rode closer. “Caspian, I think they are the Queens! And look—behind them! Telmarine soldiers!”

Caspian leaped to his feet and drew his sword. “Then that means we are too late. They have started the duel. But I will see to this.” His eyes narrowed, and Estella drew to her feet as well.

“Get on the horse,” Caspian ordered hastily, and Estella struggled to jump up to sit on the horse. “If they go after you, Destrier will know where to go. If the other riders are the Queens, you are to follow them. They will lead you to safety.”

“Caspian!” Estella gasped. “You forget that I cannot ride a horse.”

“I know,” Caspian whispered. The horses drew closer, and the cries grew louder. Suddenly, the faces of Susan and Lucy appeared. They slowed down and their horse rested beside Estella.

Estella smiled, “I knew it was you! Where are you heading?”

Her smile soon faded as Susan slipped off of her horse. “They’ve started the duel! Estella, you have to follow Lucy and find Aslan. Caspian and I will hold them off and we’ll wait for you back at the How.”

“I will kill them,” Caspian muttered, ignoring the girls’ words. His sword glinted off of a ray of sunlight and his face held a most bloodthirsty look. “They got my father, and almost my wife. Miraz will not get away with this.”

Estella opened her mouth to say something, but she got cut off by more shouts beyond the trees. She wanted to kiss Caspian, but she found that the time wasn’t appropriate. She only murmured a goodbye to him through her thoughts.

“Hurry!” Lucy shouted as the Telmarine soldiers came into sight. To Estella, the young queen shouted, “Follow me!”

Estella tried to mimic Caspian when he rode his horse, and soon she was off. She glanced behind her and then followed Lucy further into the dark woods.
♠ ♠ ♠
Most epic! Well, okay, maybe. But a slight cliffhanger. :P
Buried in homework and exams! Sorry for the long wait! Hope you enjoy this one. :]