‹ Prequel: Watching the Stars

This is Home

The Kings and Queens of Old

Caspian had felt lonely.

The only time he’d really talked to the kings and queens was to tell them of his story: how he’d gotten into Narnia, how he was supposed to be king of Telmar after his father, Caspian the Ninth, and how his uncle Miraz usurped the throne and tried to murder Caspian on the night that Miraz’s wife, Prunaprismia, gave birth to a son, whom Miraz wanted to give the throne to.

They all praised him for escaping, but Caspian felt that they mocked him for leaving his only love behind. He hadn’t told them that part of the story. He didn’t know how they could understand.

The four kings and queens were brothers and sisters, so it was natural of them to chat with each other. But Caspian had often been spending some time alone as they made their way to Aslan’s How, walking on his own and thinking about what was going to happen.

It was worse because one of the queens, Susan, reminded him of Estella. They didn’t look alike much, but just the fact that there was another woman who was just as bossy to her siblings (it seemed) as Estella was bossy to Caspian, made him miss her even more.

“Your highness, we are wondering where we could set up for lunch?” Reepicheep caught up to Caspian, who was walking far ahead of the group, with his head down.

“It does not matter,” Caspian sighed. “Wherever the kings and queens want to go; I am not hungry.”

“If your majesty is certain,” Reepicheep nodded, bowing his head. Caspian looked the other way.

* * *

The night had been another lonely one. They were discussing war, and Caspian had hardly participated. Peter took over, even against the wishes of his brother and sisters. He was about the same age as Caspian, but much braver, if Caspian wanted to compare.

“Caspian!” King Peter called his name, and Caspian only looked up. He had not been paying attention to what they were saying. Peter only quirked an eyebrow. “How are the Telmarines with surprise attacks?”

Caspian shrugged. “I do not know. They have an army twice this size. If there were a surprise attack—”

“Peter, there won’t be a surprise attack. It won’t work. Besides, they’re already planning for a war down at the river!” Susan’s voice cut in. Caspian thought that they talked in a funny way, and he wondered if a world where everyone talked with a tongue like theirs existed.

There were no other Telmarines in the army, of course. So nobody talked with a Telmarine accent, in fact, they all talked with the tongue of the Kings and Queens of Old Narnia. Caspian just felt even more left out.

“They... are at the river?” Caspian asked.

“Yes, the river,” Peter nodded. “You haven’t been listening much.”

“Oh, Pete, give him a break!” the little Queen Lucy shouted. “You’re being awful rude to him, and you just met him the other day. What would mum think?”

“Mum’s not here, and besides, it’s not like he’s taking his duties,” Peter replied. “Unless Caspian, you feel like taking over.” They all turned to look at the Prince, but his gaze fell to his feet.

“You’re a pig, Pete, a pig!” Lucy cried, in tears, before running into the forest. Susan and Edmund rolled their eyes.

“She’ll come back,” Peter waved his hand to the forest. “Anyways. If we did surprise attack them, how mad would Miraz be? You know him the best, don’t you, Caspian?”

“Mmm,” Caspian mumbled. “He’d be very mad.”

Peter was about to ask why Caspian wasn’t participating. Surely princes were trained in combat and riding and loved to fight. Peter knew that he himself loved the adrenaline of fighting, and he knew that his brother Edmund did as well (he recalled last year when Edmund had stayed back in the battle against the White Witch when Peter had given orders to go back with the girls). But they were interrupted by an ear-piercing scream from Lucy in the woods.

Peter’s eyes widened, but Trumpkin and Nikabrik raced in to see what was going on. A few minutes later, they emerged; Trumpkin was holding Lucy, who was shaking with tears. Nikabrik held a fat, little man with a long, white beard.

“Your highnesses! We found this one in the woods! We think he is a traitor, or a Telmarine!” Nikabrik announced, but Caspian jumped up.

“No! Let him go!” Caspian shouted, eyes wide. “This is who I owe my life to! Doctor Cornelius!”

Doctor Cornelius nodded his head. “I was forced to escape. Miraz was on to me and how I helped you escape.”

“Thank you, oh,” Caspian nodded excitedly. “Please tell me you’ll stay here with us.”

“If your majesty wishes,” Cornelius coughed, and Caspian was pleased to hear the familiar sound.

“Get him some food and a drink,” Caspian nodded towards Nikabrik and Trumpkin, and they (along with everyone else) were surprised, but glad to see the prince suddenly so full of life.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was going to post this yesterday in honour of Ben Barnes' birthday, but my internet broke so I am posting it now. :D