‹ Prequel: Watching the Stars

This is Home

By the River

“You wanted to speak to me?” Estella asked, and Caspian looked up at her. He smiled at her, scratching the back of his head.

“Yes,” Caspian replied. He stepped closer to her, and they both walked until they sat by the river, their feet floating in the water.

They sat in comfortable silence, each waiting for the other to speak. But it was all to get used to being in each other’s company again, when things had grown awkward and confusing between them in the past few weeks.

“You left Telmar,” Caspian stated, as he thought that was an appropriate place to start.

“Yes,” Estella shrugged.

“And your mother?” Caspian asked.

“She has left me,” Estella mumbled. “She told me she was going for a nap so she could stay awake when I was to be married, but she never woke up.”

“I am sorry.” Caspian wrapped his arm around her, and pulled her closer to him, a feeling he loved so much, but had forgotten about since discussing war with the old kings and queens.

He had also forgotten that she was married, and it would have been disrespectful (even if it was Felix) to hold her like this. So he slowly pulled back, and hung his head.

“It was her time,” Estella sighed, missing the feeling of his body around hers. “If she really knew what was happening, I am sure she would have let me go.”

“On foot?” Caspian questioned with a slight smile on his face.

“I cannot ride a horse,” Estella frowned. “It was certainly a long walk. I did not know where to go, or which directions to take, if it hadn’t been for some trails you had left behind. And then your two warriors, I heard them and said I was a Telmarine, which they took the wrong way.”

He smiled wider. “Miraz has his army near here. If he had found you, you would have gotten killed.”

“A chance I took,” she nodded. “It was finally nice to talk to someone, even if they were horrible.”

“It helps to have company,” Caspian agreed. “I am surprised that Felix didn’t take you here himself; he knows how to ride a horse. Letting his new wife leave is horrible.”

Estella eyed him and raised her eyebrow. “I am not his wife.”

To this, Caspian was bewildered. She had shown up in her wedding dress. Stolen food from her wedding, surely she would have done that after the ceremony had taken place? “You aren’t?”

“No,” Estella laughed. “I left as soon as I found out my mother was dead. I was already dressed in my nice clothes and I didn’t have time to change. Felix was banging on the door, demanding me to come out, but I said I was only marrying him for my mother’s sake. So I took the window and started to run.”

Caspian had nothing to say. Of course, what had she told him on the night in the field? She was only marrying Felix to make her mother happy.

“Oh,” Caspian managed.

Estella burst out into giggles. “‘Oh,’ as in, you thought I would marry him if my mother was dead? I thought you knew me better than that, Caspian. You are my best friend.”

“Am I?” he asked, the corners of his lips turned upwards into a small chuckle. “Oh yes, I have forgotten. I will never stop being your friend.” He used the joking royal tone, and Estella laughed again.

“Still the same,” she sighed, splashing the water between her toes. They trailed off their laughs and enjoyed the way that the sun still beat down on their shoulders, the nice mossy scent of the forest between them.

Caspian turned to her and grinned. “Well, if you are not married, can I do this?” He leaned in to kiss her softly.

“Caspian.” Estella turned her head away. “Please.”

“Please, what?” he stuck out his bottom lip.

“I...” Estella sighed.

“You what?” Caspian’s look turned serious. “What are you trying to say? That you do not love me? If you do then you will break my heart.”

Estella rolled her eyes. “Do not be so dramatic with me right now, Caspian. I have just come from an almost-marriage to someone that I didn’t like. I think I should be allowed some time for my heart to at least... heal.”

“Here.” Caspian placed his hand over her heart, his own running wildly and his lungs beating out bated breaths. “Does that help?”

“You really... must stop doing that if you do not have the intentions of...” Estella trailed off and hopped to her feet. She knew what she was going to propose. She couldn’t propose that thought.

“Do not toy with my feelings then,” Caspian stood up as well.

Estella smiled. “Almighty Prince?”

“Do not,” Caspian put his hand up, and then smiled. “You!” He took her by the shoulders and gave her a great big hug, and ‘accidentally’ pushed her into the shallow water of the river. Giggles escaped their lips, and then Estella pulled Caspian into the water.

Caspian tackled Estella into the banks of the river, suspending himself over her. Her arms floated on his and he swore that she was a water goddess. His lips moved towards hers and she didn’t fight him off.

Their faces touched, nose to nose. Caspian smiled.

“Marry me,” he said, and then he kissed her. He already knew her answer.
♠ ♠ ♠
:D
Sorry for the major wait. <333