Betting Chances

Perfect

I walked out of the bathroom that Hailey and I share in my red short shorts and a gray razor back tank top. I completely psyched myself out for not going to the bonfire tonight. I spent about an hour and a half debating and deciding that exams were more important than the date.

Mom was working overnight so covering for Hailey wouldn't be that difficult tonight.
Hailey later ran out of the bathroom a couple of minutes completely dressed. From her made-up hair down to her destroyed jeans, she looked pretty damn excited. I laughed as I watched her struggled to open out bedroom window.

I put the weight on my right leg, "Mom's not coming home until eight tomorrow morning, you can go out the front door." I smirked.

"Ugh, please. Oh, finally--" The window gave way. She swung one leg outside. "This is a hell of a lot more fun and exciting than just walking out." She looked up at me for the first time. "Wha--Is that what you're wearing to meet Jack?"

"Pfft. Of course not."

"Oh, thank goodness. Now hurry up--"

"I'm not going."

Hailey hauled ass back inside, "What?!"

I sat down on my bed, "I told Jack that I might not go, relax."

"Jesse, you have to go!" She squealed. "Jack is beyond cute!"

"Point being?"

She rolled her eyes then jumped out the window. I sat back on my thinking about Jack. Sure he was cute, but I wasn't totally sure about sacrificing a good grade for him. I don't like him that much. Not nearly that much. Not yet at least.

I squirmed as my phone started to ring. "Hello?"

"Jesse! Come down here quick!"

I began to panic, "What? What's wrong?!"

"Hurry!" I heard the phone click to end the call.

I ran to my closet pulling out a sweater and my skinny jeans. I slipped on my Vans and climbed out the window. What could've happened? Is Hailey hurt? Oh, this is all my fault. I should have tried harder to keep her from going.

I ran to the side of the house only to be pulled to the side by none other than Hailey.

"You didn't." I scowled.

She smiled, "That seems to have been the only successful lie that I could come up with. Now you have to go with me to see Jack." Hailey stood victoriously while I glared at her.

"You're a freak." I started walking ahead of her. "You are beyond lucky that I'm not in the mood to whip your butt right now."

She ran after me, "Yes, I am. Now come on, I don't want to be late for the bonfire." Hailey grabbed my hand then we continued a quick jogging pace down to the ocean front.

By the time we got there, it seemed like the entire Dulaney senior class was there already. Hailey ran off to Zack while I walked all the way up to the edge of the water.

It was just one of those moments where no matter how many people were there with you, you just can't help but to feel alone.

"Jesse?"

I whipped around. Jack stood there in a black hoodie, dark blue skinny jeans, and a yellow v-neck t-shirt.

He chuckled, "I didn't think you'd show up."

I sighed, "Hailey kind of tricked me into going."

Jack gave me a whole-hearted smile, "I'm glad she did." I felt his hand hold on to mine.

It was warm. I felt comfortable with him. This is good, right?

A smile slowly crept upon my face, "I am, too."

"Come on," He motioned towards the crowd. "They're lighting the bonfire."

We ran to a vacant part of drift wood. I sat to Jack's left. Hailey and Zack sat across from us. His arm around hers. Hailey looked over to me and smiled.

I returned to smile.

Jack whispered, "Can I put my arm around you?"

I felt my heart melt. It's beyond sweet when I guy actually asks. "Of course." I whispered back.

His arm went around my waist. I rested my head on his shoulder. Before I knew it, our arms were wrapped around each other.

Talk about the perfect moment.

Much to my dismay, my phone started to ring. I let out a frustrated sigh.

Jack laughed at me and released his grip.

I pulled out my phone and held it to my ear, "Hello?"

"Sweetie? It's mom."

Oh. Shit.

"Mom? What's up?" I controlled my voice.

Hailey's head whipped around the second she heard the word 'mom'.

"The night shift was canceled so I'm on my way home. I should be there in twenty minutes."

Eff my life.

"Oh, Alright. See you then."

My breathing became incredibly shallow as I hung up my phone.

"Jesse? What's wrong?" Jack asked me with a worried face.

I couldn't say anything except, "Hailey!! Emergency!!"

Hailey stood up abruptly. "What?!"

"She's on her way home!" I nearly screamed.

"Fuck! I'm so sorry, Zack." She jumped over the drift wood, leaving Zack behind.

"Jack, I'm so sorry, I need to go." I stood up.

"Wait!" He grabbed my hand. "What's going on?"

"We weren't supposed to be here! And if you ever want to go on a date with me ever again, you have to let me go!" I said quickly.

He released my hand and I ran after Hailey.

I was jerked back by a hand grabbed onto my arm. "What the--" I was pulled into Jack's chest. He lips were pressed against mine in an instant.

While his hair smelled smokey, his lips were soft and sweet.

"JESSE! MOM! HOME! NOW!" Hailey yelled at me.

Jack pulled away, "Promise that you won't let your mom kill you before we can do that again? There's a pool party tomorrow afternoon. Be my date after you ace your exam?" He smiled.

I nodded with scarlet cheeks, "Most definitely."

"Now, go." He motioned me off.

I pecked him on the lips one more time then ran off behind Hailey. She smiled when I got beside her.

While we ran, she smiled again, "You two are so cute together."

I rolled my eyes.

Her jaw dropped. Suddenly, her fist threw itself into my arm.

"What was that for?!" I yelped.

"You kissed you're man before I kissed mine!"

"You're a jerk."

She smiled, "So how was it?" Hailey asked just as we came up to the tree at the side of the house.

"Very nice." I said as I swung one leg into our room. I tore off my jeans and my sweater, swiftly putting on my red shorts again and smearing off my eyeliner.

"Just nice?" Hailey laughed as she changed.

"Fine." I looked at her. "It was perfect."
♠ ♠ ♠
Drama starts the next chapter then BIG drama in the one after.

Hailey
Jesse