Under the Surface

Part 1

Beneath the simmering heat of the dwindling summer's evening, Ethan gazed into the vast lake that spread over the land so far that it flowed beyond the horizon. He watched the swirls of blue dance to a silent rhythm and the glimmers of turquoise reflecting the light from the setting sun. As if in a trance, he scrutinized his every feature in his reflection, imprinted onto the flawless water. A figure crumpled by wariness and shame loomed at him and it only served to deteriorate his mood further.

His facial features, normally discrete and inexpressive, were contorted with emotions he hardly understood. He stood out like a dark cloud on a sunlit sky, the only gloomy thing blotting the otherwise tranquil scene.

He knelt down close to the edge of the lake so that the water lapped against the knees of his jeans. He didn't even notice. He didn't even care anymore.

Reaching out a solitary hand to touch the water, the tranquil sheen of the lake was soon disturbed and ripples skated and danced across its broken surface. The refreshingly cool water on his palm made him sigh. A feeling of melancholic harmony gripped his heart.

The water called to him.

He submerged his whole hand into the water and his arm soon followed. The depth of the lake seemed to be everlasting and he hunted for the bottom, almost desperately, with his hand outstretched. He could not find it no matter how hard he tried. Suddenly he blinked and his head snapped upwards as if he had only just comprehended then what he was doing. He pulled his arm out of the water hastily and the soaked sleeve of his black T-shirt pressed against his arm and made him shiver.

The evening was closing in and the sun was about to disappear, casting a smoldering red glow over the lake. Even though the park around him looked so beautiful, there was nobody else there to admire it. He stood up shakily and turned his back to the lake. Still, it called out to him and he felt as if he was about to fall backwards and be dragged in by some invisible demon. He turned around, but nothing was there.

He was the only demon.

He crouched down, still staring into the lake's eerie depths, and touched the ground momentarily, the gesture looking like a farewell.

He stood again and the water lapped at his dark trainers. He stepped forwards and it enveloped his ankles and his jeans stuck to his legs. He walked further, soon wading as the lake rose higher and higher, receiving him with open arms.

Soon his feet were barely able to touch the ground but he lifted them defiantly. After swimming further out he let his whole body droop slowly. He closed his eyes and let himself sink. His head submerged and the chill of the water made his sinuses throb.

Half a minute passed but he didn't resurface. His lungs screamed in agony for oxygen but he still didn't resurface. Ethan was in a dreamlike state. He opened his eyes. He could see her face clearly through the depths of the water.

Erica! He called out to her and her glassy blue eyes loomed over him. He knew she was dead, yet here she was. She was ready to take him with her.

Her mouth opened as if to speak but no words came. Ethan was contented just to be with her again, even if for the last time. He reached out and tried to touch her face but her image dissipated with the disturbance of the water.

Just an illusion... he thought with regret.

He closed his eyes and felt the liquid, now icy cold, surround him and embrace him like a mother finding her lost child. He received the distinct feeling of being pulled downwards and the water became much gloomier. He turned his head and saw that two small children were the ones pulling him. There was a girl and a boy; both dressed in dark, gothic Victorian clothes, ebony to match their ivory skin.

Neither looked at him, they were looking down into the murky water below with soulless eyes. Ethan thought they were cherubs, taking him to heaven to be with her. He knew that they meant no harm. Just another illusion, he thought with a smile.

He closed his eyes again, letting the children, stiff and unmoving like porcelain dolls; lead him to wherever they wanted him to go...