Medically Speaking You're Adorable

Chapter Eleven - Tangled in a Knot

Names were being called, each student taking turns to hand up the very thing I spent completing, the very thing that had turned me into some sort of hermit.

I could tell some people hadn’t tried, I’m pretty sure one girl named Morgan was still finishing hers in the back row, she’s lucky Mrs Kulin couldn’t see that well. I gently stroked mine, it may sound obsessive but I really had put my heart into this, I had worked so hard on it, handing in three different drafts.

I wanted it to be prefect.

“Frank Iero.” Mrs Kulin called.

It was time to hand in my English assignment.

I breathed in a sigh of relief, it was over and done with, now I just had to wait for my mark. I hope it was good, I truly loved English, especially with Mrs Kulin as my teacher, she maybe be older than a lot of other teachers but she was wonderful, such a great teacher. Lots of students didn’t like her though, heaps of kids said nasty things about her, only because she gave actual homework, it really helped with the assessments, the homework was never irrelevant.

The stupid kids just didn’t understand how much she was really helping us.

I had spent the last two weeks fixated on this assignment, It had taken up all my attention and I had treated it as a mother would treat her child, with love and adoration.

I think this has been my best work so far.

My last two weeks had also been spent without Gerard, I miss him terribly but since today is Friday I’m going to sleep over his house tonight. He says we have to catch-up, it feels like I haven’t seen him in years, though we still walk to school together and Gerard comes to lunch every Monday and Thursday. I guess we’re both so use to seeing each other practically every afternoon and weekend that this separation seems so massive to both of us.

As I sat watching the rest of my class hand in their assignments I wondered what we would be doing tonight, hopefully watch some movies, I want to watch “Labyrinth” again, David Bowie is awesome.

Hmm, I wonder if Gee will get us take-out, I want noodles. I have a love for noodles, I love them more than any other food. They really are delicious especially with some vegetables and tofu, ahh I really like tofu.

I’m not vegetarian, though I do prefer vegetables over meat, if there are choices vegetables over meat any day. It’s not really due to the fact that the animals are killed because that’s how the world works, it’s all part of the food chain. It’s the way the animals are treated, it’s inhuman and down right disgusting, honestly I don’t want to eat cows, chickens, sheep or pigs that have been put through that, I just find it morally wrong.

“RINGGG” Wow that school bell always seems to be interrupting my thoughts, I guess it’s because I’m always thinking, turning events over in my head, tyring to put meaning to things I don’t understand.

I walked down the hallways, swapping the books that I didn’t need to the ones I would be using over the weekend, not many thankfully. I walked down the halls trying to avoid getting to close to people I’d never met, all these kids never seem to care if they bump into you, they should really, it makes me nauseous.

I quickly made my escape, moving to the exit as fast as possible, I also didn’t want to run into Steve, he was being a real ass lately. For some reason unknown to me he seems to think I am clinically crazy, he actually tried to get kids to sign a petition he made up stating that I should be shipped-off to an asylum, it was hilarious though only four people signed, the other three being Steve’s own siblings.

I was free, walking towards the gate I was surprised to see Gerard waiting out on a bench for me. I ran towards him letting out a squeal in delight, both from the fact he was here and he had coffee.

“Ha, I knew you would be happy, but I’m not sure what over, me here or the coffee.”

“Ohh, that’s a tough one but probably the coffee.” I joked with him.

Gerard pouted at me, he looked absolutely adorable pouting, I just hugged him close.

“Don’t worry Gee, I was joking, you beat coffee any day.”

Gerard smiled at me, tugging my hand towards his car.

“Why the hell did you bring your car? We don’t live that far away.”

“Eh, I was feeling lazy and we walked everyday this past month, I thought we deserved a break.”

I just shook my head at him, he was really was unbelievable, spontaneous as well.

We got back to his house, I didn’t bother going home, I had all the clothes I needed at Gee’s and seeing mum looking at us through the window I pointed to Gerard’s house and made sleeping gestures. She just laughed at me, nodding that it was fine. I gave her quick thumbs up, and jumped on to Gee’s back.

“Onwards my trusty stallion.”

Gee just gave me a look before taking off up his front path, nearly knocking over a pot plant along the way.

Throwing me onto the couch giggling Gerard left to the kitchen, getting both of us some afternoon tea, yes, his mum makes the best cupcakes.

We both ate our cupcakes in the backyard, I laid down next to Gerard as he gently stroked the scar running up my arm.

“You know that day was terrible, I thought you had died and It was all my fault, I thought I had killed you.” Gee whispered to me, remembering the day I had fallen out of the very tree we lay under.

“Hey it was never your fault, I decided to climb to very top where it was hard to hold the branches, and it wasn’t that bad once I was all sown up. The scar is pretty wicked so don’t worry Gee.”

Gerard just went back to staring at the scar, a slightly pained look upon his face. It really wasn’t his fault we were both foolish boys back then, I thought I could do anything.

I cuddled up to Gee, nuzzling into his chest. I sighed, I love Gerard’s hugs, they are one of the only things that feel safe to me, they feel like home.

We spent ages out there just lying down under that tree, huddled together, my head in his chest.

It had started getting dark so we had left the backyard for dinner.

I had convinced Gerard that I needed to watch “Labyrinth”, he didn’t mind, we both loved the movie. I really loved the little caterpillar, I have a thing for them, first a love for the one in Alice in Wonderland and now the little grub from “Labyrinth”. Hey I guess they were pretty cool.

I movie was over soon and we moved to his bedroom.

Gee had a queen size bed so I didn’t have to sleep on the floor, neither of us minded sharing, I had since I met him, wow that was twelve years ago, a bloody long time.

We both lay over the covers in our pyjamas, mine were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Gerard’s were Batman, he always loved Batman, we had a constant battle over who was better.

“I really did miss you Frankie.” Gee whispered over to me.

“I missed you like hell Gee, sorry about becoming a hermit but you know how I get over English.”

Gerard smiled over at me.

“Yeah, you do love it don’t you.”

“Yeah, I really do.”

Gee just lay their watching me, staring at me like I was something he had never seen before, it almost looked like he was in awe. I was kind of baffled by this, becoming more and more self-conscious as the minutes past.

I was about to ask him what was wrong, did I have tooth paste left on my face, it was really making me feel awkward, I wasn’t liking it at all, I needed to know what was wrong.

But before the words past out of mouth, his lips had found mine, kissing me softly, so soft it would be barely considered a kiss by most. But to me this was so shocking I could feel tears slowly brimming in my eyes.

It had frozen me solid, all of it hit me so fast, I pulled my lips from his, jumping from the bed. I didn’t understand, I had never felt anything towards anyone. I had never been in a relationship, never to my knowledge been sexually attracted to anyone, it had always just been my and my two best friends. I had never thought about my sexuality, I had never thought about anything to do with relationships. I was like a ten year old boy, like an innocent child, this was something that had never happened to me before.

I always liked to be in control of what happened to me and this threw me way off, I didn’t know what to do, I didn’t know what to think, I just didn’t know.

Gee had a look of shock sweeping across his face as I looked down at him on the bed, I was terrified. I honestly just didn’t understand.

He started getting up and I freaked, I needed to sort my head, I needed to get out of here.

I ran.