Pushing My Limits

Six.

I stepped off the bus for the last time, feeling the Florida sun beaming down on me. I grinned as i took my suitcase off the driver, pulling it onto the pavement.

"Zoe!" I grinned, as she walked down the street, dropping my suitcase and pulling her into a hug. She wrapped her arms around me quickly, and smiled weakly as she pulled away.

"Good tour?" She asked, more quiet than she used to be; she'd cut her hair as well.

"Same old," I took her hand and led her into my apartment, pulling my suitcase behind us. "Come have a coffee"

She pulled her hand from mine and folded her arms in front of her chest, looking uncomfortable.

A bad feeling settled in the pit of my stomach, tugging at my stomach; warning me that something bad was about to happen. I bit my lip in annoyance; I couldn't keep anything good.

I handed her a mug of coffee, keeping one for myself, and i sat down at my breakfast bar, waiting for her to say something.

"Sonny..." She mumbled, looking at me guiltily. "I can't do this anymore."

My head bowed in defeat, and i nodded slightly.

"What happened to us?" I asked, my voice quiet.

"I don't know your face anymore, Sonny. You've been gone so long, i don't feel like i know you anymore." A tear dribbled down her face, and narrowly missed her cup. "We might as well be strangers."

"I'm sorry." I shook my head, "You know i don't like touring, Zoe. I hate it, and i wish you could have come with me." I refused to let the tears show in my eyes, knowing they were building up inside of me.

"But you didn't give me that choice." She told me, "I would have come, I loved you."

"I don't like who i become when i tour. They change me, i'm never good enough." I closed my eyes as i thought over the past tour. "I couldn't let you see me like that."

"Sonny," Her voice was choked, but no more tears fell from her face. "I would have supported you...I can't do anything now, I've changed, and so have you."

I nodded and she put the untouched coffee on the side, she pulled a key out of her pocket and handed it to me.

"I'm going to go." She mumbled, i stood and walked towards the door with her.

"Just so you know," She turned around so she was facing me. "When you were here, when we were together...they were the best days of my life. You'll find someone, someone who you can trust enough to take on tour with you. Someone you'll make the happiest girl in the world."

I wiped the tear running down her cheek and hugged her tightly. Willing myself not to cry; to at least wait until she'd gone.

"Do you need a lift home?" I asked her when i pulled away, she shook her head and walked through the door.

"Goodbye," She mumbled, and walked down the hall, wiping away stray tears. I watched her stand at the elevator, waiting for one to stop on my floor. I watched her enter the lift and press a button. Our eyes met for a final time, and a tear finally slid down my face.

I slammed the door shut and collapsed against it, burrowing my face in my hands. She was gone.

So this was it, an end of another chapter; and hell would i miss it.