This Cloud Just Keeps on Covering

Seven

At dinner, Frank and I ate slowly. It was nice to have a meal to ourselves, away from our hyper friends. Sure, I loved every minute I had with my brothers and other friends, but sometimes it was nice to have a break.

Frank smiled at me and stood up. I watched as he rinsed his bowl out, humming to himself as he did so. Bella stared also, keeping her loving eyes on her master. When Frank turned around, he laughed.

"What can I say? The ladies love me," he said, winking at Bella and I.

I laughed and stood up, rinsing out my own bowl. After placing it into the dishwasher, I turned around. Frank was standing beside the counter, his butter eyes placed on me. Stretching out my arms, I hugged him and pressed my face into his shoulder. He kissed the top of my head lightly.

"Bella is getting jealous," Frank laughed, looking down at the German Shepherd.

I giggled. Sure enough, Bella was sitting in front of us, a low grumble escaping her mouth. I let go of Frank and smoothed down her thick coat.

"Ugh, I'm going to bed. Those guys wear me out," I said, turning back to Frank.

Frank nodded and smiled at me. He lightly pressed his lips to my own. I pulled away, trying to pull my gaze away from him. Trust me, it was easier said than done. Frank looked at me as if he were a lost puppy, his butter eyes glittering in the light from one of the golden lamps. I laughed and ruffled his hair.

I walked into my bedroom, pulling out a pair of red and black pants and a red ACDC shirt. I slid them on quickly, tossing my day clothes into the hamper inside our closet. As I got into bed, I heard Bella's collar jingling in the hall.

The dog hopped onto the bed with me, her pink tongue hanging out of her mouth lamely. But, as I stroked her coat, I noticed a note hanging from her collar. I pulled it out and read it, grinning.

I wuv you!

Laughing, I looked over to the door to see Frank grinning at me. I blew him a kiss and got under my sheets. Frank turned out the light and went off somewhere. I had guessed he was going to watch some show on TV.

Sighing, I turned on my iPod and pushed the small buds into my ears. As the music played, it lulled me to sleep.

When I woke up, I heard someone in our kitchen. I looked over to my right to see Frank still fast asleep, curled up underneath the thick, black blanket. I quietly slipped out of the room, rubbing my arms.

In the kitchen, Mikey was by my cabinet, holding a Walmart bag in his hands. My older brother saw me and smiled sheepishly. Wiggling my finger, I raised one of my eyebrows. Mikey handed me the bag. I laughed when I saw it was filled with a brand new box of Coffee Bars.

"I thought I would pay you back," he laughed.

"Aw, thanks Mikes," I chuckled, hugging him.

Mikey nodded and finished setting the Coffee Bars back into my cabinet. When he was finished, I handed him a fresh cup of coffee, which he took gratefully. He smiled at me before sipping the hot liquid down.

"So, are we having a Halloween party?" I asked.

"I think Gee is having one," Mikey shrugged.

I nodded and took a drink of Mikey's coffee, looking out of the window. Outside, cars were buzzing down the street quickly. They honked and angry drivers waving their hands out of the windows, no doubt heading to work on a late start.

"So what are you gonna be?" Mikey asked.

"For Halloween?"

Mikey nodded. "Yeah."

I laughed and shook my head. "I can't tell you."

"Secret keeper."

I rolled my eyes and smiled at my big brother. I let my eyes then roam across the busy streets outside.

It always put a smile on my face to see the cars rushing by, the tall skyscrapers taller than any mountain. People walked outside on the crackling cement sidewalks chatting on their phones. I laughed when I saw a small boy tugging on his mother's hand, pointing at a large, red truck riding down the busy street.

Mikey looked over and raised an eyebrow at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Since when do you like little kids?" he asked.

"I dunno. Since I was born, I guess," I muttered, rolling my aspen eyes.

"Then why don't you have a little kid?"

Laughing, I pointed over to Bella. "I already have my kid."