I'm Not Peter Without My Wendy

Five years later...

I was sixteen now.

The promise made to Peter Pan had been five years ago and still I was waiting for him. I knew without a doubt that he would come.

He always came back, but I had not seen him for five years and I was beginning to worry.

My father had been trying to give me away for at least a year now. His temper grew with every boy I rejected until he told me that I was to chose a boy or leave his house and die on the streets.

I lay on the window sill and left it open, watching the night sky for signs of my boy. My chosen one.

He still didn’t come and I grew evermore frightened. What if he never came? It was not in my nature to doubt someone but he was just a boy when he made that promise.

What if he fell in love with Tiger Lily? Or Tinker Bell?
I wanted to throw up at that thought.

Please, I begged silently. Please come soon.

***

I had an awful nightmare. It was Peter’s nightmare but it was reversed.

I was banging on the window but he was dancing with a girl and couldn’t see me. I banged harder as he kissed her and realized he had completely forgotten me. I banged so hard that I lost my footing and slipped to the cold winter ground with a silent scream smothered in darkness.

I woke to find the boy in green sitting there watching me. His eyes belied his concern and when he saw the tears in my eyes as well as the fact that I was near screaming he became alarmed.
“Wendy?” He asked tentatively.

I gaped at the sight of him. He had grown up? His form was that of a 16-17 year old boy.

He was muscular and good looking and he was so warm. I found that out as I leaned into him and cried from relief and fear.

I feared that he was going to tell me he had changed his mind; that he wasn’t taking me with him.

I wasn’t a house wife. I wanted to live. I wanted to live with him.

His arms came around me securely and his chin rested on top of my head.

“What are you doing here?” I asked between sobs.

His fingers stroked the side of my face as he answered. “I told you I’d come back.”

“Why are you grown up?” I pulled away and looked him up and down.

“You’re grown up too.” He said defensively.

“Yeah but that’s what happens in this world.”

“I grew up for you.” He said softly. “I know that you couldn’t be with me if you were older and I was still eleven.”

“You stayed in this world?”

“I can still fly.” He said quickly at the look on my face. “I went back a lot but I stayed enough to grow up. I heard you having a nightmare.”

His thumb stroked away the last remains of tears from my face.

“Is tonight the night?” I asked.

“Yes.” He said.

“Are you sure you want to-” He didn’t let me finish.

He leaned forwards and kissed me passionately and with tenderness. All doubt fled my mind. I had to go with him.

“We’re going tonight.” His eyes were set. He was taking me with him. He’d been away from me for too long.

“Tinker Bell is coming soon. You don’t need clothes much.” I nodded, dazed. “Do you want to say goodbye to anyone?”

“Can I ever come back?” His jaw clenched and I saw the same fear in his eyes as I’d seen five years ago. He was afraid I’d leave him for someone from this world.

I stretched one hand out and stroked his jaw. It relaxed underneath my touch. “We won’t come back.” I said softly.

Naked relief flooded his eyes.

“I’m not Peter Pan without my Wendy.” He said softly.

He gripped my hand protectively in his. I rose from the bed, all scary dreams forgotten.

Giving me a minute to write a note to my family explaining not to look for me, Peter called for Tinker Bell. She answered him as always.

He held his hand out to me. I looked at it.

I knew that if I took it I was accepting him and his life. I was accepting that I would never return.

I looked at him.

He looked at me.

The darkness was back again but he was fighting it.

I smiled. I took his hand. Night greeted me as we flew.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay. Finished. First time writing a romance. Normally i write horror/death stories so be nice about it alright?