Status: Hiatus. I'm so busy :/

"Love is Like A Glass Door..."

So Long and Goodnight

Penny's Pov

We were at the airport. The five of us, Joe, Kevin, Nick, Connor, and I, lingered behind my parents. I didn't want Connor and I to go, and neither did the boys, but I had to keep in mind that today was Monday and we were going back to school Wednesday. One of my hands was holding my bag and the other was gripping Nick's hand tight.

It was about eight o clock at night. We found some vacant seats and waited for our flight to be ready to load. Joe got a couple bags of M&Ms from the vending machine, and each of us poured a handful and passed the bags around. When I got bored from listening to Joe and Kevin discuss how to organize their next concert, I laid my head in the crook of Nick's shoulder and sighed. "Did I mention that I really don't want to go?"

Nick laughed. "You may have brought it up a couple dozen times."

"Yeah," I yawned, "I guess I did repeat myself a little." Then after another yawn I said, "I'm bored. And sleepy."

"I've noticed."

I held his hand in both of mine and fiddled with it idly. The ring with the intertwined hearts glinted from the florescent lighting above us. I studied the others as I tried to fight the fatigue away. Mom and dad were skimming through newspapers and House and Garden magazines; Kevin and Joe were debating on which songs to play for their concert in Germany, if they should play No Other Way.... I frowned as my eyes landed on Connor. He had pointedly alienated himself from everyone, looking absolutely miserable. In fact, he's been that way since he and Kevin picked us up from the Eiffel Tower, and he refuses to talk to me at all. And now that I realize it, he and Kevin were sitting as far apart from each other as possible, like two animals that had been fighting and then separate themselves from each other to lick their wounds.

As if reading my mind, Nick said, "I don't know what's up with those two. Kevin's been acting strangely too- and he looks like he's troubled with something."

I sighed again. "I think the two got in some sort of fight." It always tore my heart out when Connor acted so depressed. He had this look, like a boy who just saw his puppy get run over. And it was a shame to see these two who had created a friendship so fast to, for some reason, suddenly resent each other. "I guess I'll find out when he's ready to talk." It might take some time.

"Passengers of Flight 21 please gather your belongings and prepare to board."

I bit my lip. It was time to go. There was a shifting of movement as the seven of us got to our feet, stretching a little and saying goodbyes. Nick pulled me in for a hug and held me there, murmuring in my hair, "You better call as soon as you land."

"Will do, sir," I said back with a mocking salute. After kissing me on the forehead, he released me so I could say goodbye to the others.

I gave Kevin a warm hug. "Look, Kevin, whatever's going on between you and Connor, it's not worth it. Just... patch it up with him, okay? He has reasons for the things he does, and I'm sure he wants to tell you badly, but it's just that he's... afraid..." Kevin nodded hazily and said nothing in response.

I turned to the third Jonas brother. "Bye, Joe," I said, and extended my arms. Surprisingly enough, he gave me a big bear hug, holding it just a little longer than comfortable. I didn't know what to think of it.

"Bye," he said, and, grinning lopsidedly, he stuck his hands in his pockets and joined the other two.

And then I turned to the youngest Jonas. "And you know I'll miss you the most, right Frankie?" I teased, tickling his chin. I had purposely said it loud enough for the others to hear.

"Hey," Nick joked. "Not cool, Frank, not cool. Turn down that charm of yours."

Frankie grinned and shrugged. "I give them what they want." I giggled.

Mom and dad gestured for me to hurry. I sighed for a final time and joined them, turning to wave at the brothers halfheartedly. Nick, Joe, and Frank waved back. I turned to Connor. He and Kevin were shaking hands awkwardly. Then Connor held his hand there for a minute longer, looking at Kevin in the eyes. Apologetically? Regretfully? I wouldn't know; there was a mist over those enigmatic, hazel pools. They continued staring at each other, as if they were speaking telepathically, then Connor said softly, "Bye, Kevin."

"Goodbye,” he said with sad eyes.

And Connor turned and joined my parents and me, leaving the two of them on uneven terms.

Following the current of passengers for flight 21, I thought I heard him mutter, "Nothing gold can stay..."
♠ ♠ ♠
I no likey this chapter :( It's made me sleepy and bored. And it's longer than I anticipated.