‹ Prequel: The Encounter

The Dearly Departed

The Longing for Blood

On this cold and dreary night, the taste of blood was aromatic in my mouth. Everywhere I turned, I saw blood. When I ran into the house, of which I thought was empty, the taste was like a stimulant to kill. Never before had I ever had the gumption to just kill something. So, as I crept up the stairs, I heard someone talking. Would I be heard, seen, what was to become of me? These questions raced in and out of my thoughts. When I opened the door there was a boy sitting on his bed. This boy was none that I had ever seen before. He had jet black hair and cold, piercing silver eyes. When he stood, I saw that he was no boy at all, but a man. “I must have him.” I thought to myself as I leapt toward him. When I was face to face with him, I noticed the fear in his eyes, and he spoke softly,

“I know what you are, and I know what you are thinking. You don’t know any better." I turned my head slightly to the side and replied with a slight tremble, “You . . . you are not afraid of me?” He noticed my slight lisp from the fangs and the heavy Romanian accent I had picked up for he struggled to understand me, “I do not want to kill you.”

“Why not?”

“I have fallen in love, I have fallen in love with you. From the moment I walked into the room, I have loved you.”

“Why do love me? You don’t even know me. Besides, why would I want to fall in love, roam the cold, endless nights and kill with a person of such ugly features?”

He was toying with my thoughts for I knew that I wasn’t ugly. I had fair skin, shocking green eyes that glow like a flashlight through the night and auburn coloured hair that has a natural wave. I am of an average height, with a large bust, and am thin, but not fragile thin.

He knew I was hurt and mad, because he inched away from me as I glared at him through the fire in my eyes.

“How dare you say such an inconsiderate thing. I tell you that I love you and want you for eternity and you call me ugly.”

"I am sorry that I am not sorry, but I will not go with you.”

“Why mortal? You have something better to do?”

“No, but I don’t want to have to kill as a life style, I just don’t have the heart.”

“Heart? You have a heart? Besides, it won’t matter once you’re a vampire, for if you try and fight the temptation, it will eat at your soul until you feed it.”

“That’s why. I just don’t want to.”

“You will live forever, be young and beautiful forever. You must come with me now.”

“I won-“

At that instance I put my head by his ear and my lips caressed his soft skin. Then I went in to kiss his neck but my fangs came out and instead I bit his neck and oh, how the blood ran into my dry and expecting mouth. The blood ran down my throat with ease and alas, I was at peace with the war inside my mind. When I knew that enough was enough, I pulled hesitantly away and watched his unconscious body unravel to the floor like a ball of string.

“Tomorrow,” I said in a longing voice, “Tomorrow night I will come for you." With that, I crept back down the stairs and left the house hastily. I ran back to my mansion atop the great hill and slept without simplicity. For my thoughts were becoming tangled about the night that I have been longing for, for so long.