‹ Prequel: The Encounter

The Dearly Departed

The Beginning of the End

Demetreus glowered at me with burning red eyes. His fangs pulled back revealed pieces of skin and the faint coloration of blood in his mouth. My heart ached for what he had become. He was not a child of the night, he was the terror of the night, the one thing we fear most. I knew I shouldn't have left, but he urged me to go, my invitation was repealed. I remembered the way he used to be, soft, innocent, docile; and looking at this thing in front of me reminded me more of a horror film than the Demetreus I once knew. I snapped back to the here and now. I heard him snarling at me like a blood thirsty pit-bull because that was exactly what he was. Demetreus glowered at me through fiery eyes and said, "You came back."

I looked at him with tension and eagerness and replied, "I had to, life without was no life at all."

"I never understood what you're fascination was with me . . . I never loved you like you loved me."

My heart dropped into my stomach when he said this. I knew he didn't but it's one thing to know and another to be told, "I know you didn't, but I needed to come back, to see what you've become."

He looked at me and said very sarcastically, "Well then, welcome to my humble abode, what do you think?"

I pulled my fangs back and prepared to rip his head off. I loved him once but this monster is not the same man I knew a many ago, "I think you've become an unstoppable, blood thirsty monster."

"Well, thank you love, but you did make me this way you know."

When he said this I realized it was true, I made him a monster, and now I must destroy him. I raised my head ever so slightly and looked at him, unfortunately, this would be the last image I would have of him, blood covered and vicious. I lunged forward and grabbed him forearm with my fangs. He cried out in pain and lashed at my face to get me away. I grabbed him hard, but he had had so much fresh human blood that he healed much quicker than I had anticipated. Demetreus came at me fast and hard, he put his whole body into his attack and I felt it as I hit the side wall and felt my shoulders and back crack upon impact. When he stepped back, my limp and broken body slithered down the wall to the ground. I grappled for something to stretch me out, and when I got hold of a loose floorboard I pulled my body straight and felt my shoulders and back pop back into place. When I got up I crouched for awhile and when I stood up I waited for another vicious attack but it never came, at least, not from him.