Status: Inconsistently updated, so don't really depend on this one having a new chapter very often.

What Doesn't Kill You

D is for Dangerous

I stared up at the stars, admiring their beauty. Their purity. That’s a purity that just doesn’t exist in today’s world. You know?

A smile grazed my lips as I twirled the knife in my hands in a rhythmic motion. Up and down. Up and down. One and two. Three and four.

I heard the faint ‘click click scrape clickclickclick’ of heels and thudding behind it going in a similar pace.

I sighed and flipped over, so I looked down over the roof top.

“I- ouch! I think we took a wrong turn! I don’t live here!” A girl proclaimed, loudly. I rolled my eyes. I’m tired of feeling compelled to save the stupid drunk girl who leaves a bar with some creep.

“Baby, we’ll get you home in a minute.”

I jumped down and gracefully landed on my feet. If you knew how long I practiced doing that, you’d think it was way less cool. “I think you might want to leave her alone,” I said.

Looking at my slender form, he shook me off. “Looks like I get two for the price of one tonight, huh?”

One side of my mouth turned up, but I doubt he saw much of that in the dark. I started speaking as I raised up my hand playing with the knife. I twirled it with each word. “Tick tock, tick tock,” I stopped twirling and looked up from the knife to stare at him. “Now you’re on the chopping block.”

He looked at me confused for a second. I smirked, then threw all I had into that knife, sending it diving through his neck. He must have passed out from pain, or something, because he died soundlessly.

How tragic.

“Th-thanks, I guess,” the drunk girl said. She stumbled forward. “You’re like, the next Batman—“

“Not Batman, sweets.”

“Well, Catwoman, I guess. You saved—“

“I saved you this time. Next time, you’re on your own,” I told her. I must have come off harsh, because she cringed a little at the end. “Maybe next time you won’t make an ass out of yourself,” I mumbled, walking away.

I breathed out deeply, and couldn’t help but think about how I lost another knife to a stupid 20-year-old with a fake ID who can’t control her liquor.

I walked by the drug store and saw a thirteen-year-old outside, smoking.

I grabbed the cigarette from him. “How old are you?” I screamed.

“Th-thirteen.”

I rolled my eyes. “Go to bed. You have school tomorrow.”

He scurried off. I leaned against the wall, staring at the cancer between my fingers. It’s not the cigarettes that kill you, it’s your fingers. Leave the tobacco companies alone. They pump the economy, provide jobs.

Kill the smoker.

“Those things’ll kill ya, you know,” said a voice in the shadow.

“So will these” I said, flipping out a knife and chucking it as hard as I could around where his shoulder should be.

I heard a cling and a he stepped forward. I rolled my eyes. Another clown around here. “Well well, we have a winner,” I said, bored.

“You’re in my way,” he said.

“I’m leaning against a wall.” I took a drag out of the cigarette, for dramatic effect, I guess. I don’t really smoke. Not since I was younger and thought it was cool, or something.

He laughed. “A wall that I’m trying to bomb through, dollface.”

I looked forward and breathed out deeply. What is with people today? “Look, sir, you’re probably drunk or on crack, or something. Bad trip? I don’t care, just go home, and leave me the fuck alone.”

He laughed again. “Do you think you frighten me? You seem like you think you frighten me.” He stepped further into the light, so I could really see his face. He stepped closer and closer until we were touching. I didn’t move, didn’t flinch. “Now, you see, I should probably be the one frightening you. I’m a pretty powerful guy. I’ve got the scars to prove it.”

I took another drag and blew it into his face. “Well don’t you have an explosive personality,” I said.

He took a step back and surveyed me. “Now, I’m the Joker, here.”

“Whatever,” I said, flinging the knife at the light hanging off the wall and walking into the shadows.

‘I’m the Joker here.’ That wasn’t even good. He wasn’t even funny.

That’s number 2 on my list.

Number One: Rid Gotham of corrupt cops and injustice by the law.
Number Two: Import some better comedians.
♠ ♠ ♠
"D is for Dangerous" by the Arctic Monkeys.