Sequel: Laws of Nature

Force of Nature

Sunrise

0
“With each sunrise, we start anew”
- Anonymous


Amelia woke up with a smile on her face feeling like she could take on the world. It was partly because of Kale's body wrapped around hers, keeping her warm in the otherwise cold room.

“What are you doing up, 'Lia?” Kale mumbled into her hair before pulling her closer. “Its to early to be up.”

She smiled more and rolled over so she could face him. She gave him a peck on the lips before cuddling into his chest, before wondering what she was doing up so early. They had only gone to bed a few hours ago, three at the most so she should have been out cold.

It only took a moment for Amelia to realize that she had a plane to catch and her smile faded. “My plane,” she told him with a sigh. “It takes off at ten this morning.”

“You're still leaving?” He asked as he pulled away from her.

Her frown grew as she said, “I wasn't sure if you wanted me to stay or not. We didn't really talk last night.”

“Your staying,” he stated bluntly.

Amelia laughed and ran a hand through his hair, “Alright then, I have to tell Darryn.”

“Then lets get down stairs and call him.” He got out of bed and stretched before picking up his boxers and putting them on. Amelia did the same but just grabbed his shirt off the floor and put it on, not wanting to chase her clothes across the room.

Kale lead her out of the room and through the quiet house. They went down the stairs and into the living room which had one of the cordless phones. They both sat on the couch and Kale handed her the phone, “Dial 001 before dialing the number.” He told her.

“I know.” She told him before she did that and then dialed his cell phone number.

The phone began to ring immediately and on the sixth ring Darryn answered the phone with a sleepy, “Hello?”

“Darryn. Were you asleep?”

“Its like two in the morning. Of course I was asleep. What do you want?” He asked testily.

She took a deep breath before saying, “I'm staying with Kale.”

“Okay. What about your plane ticket?” He asked before she heard the rustle of the sheets on his end of the phone.

“Refund them for more airtime or something. Kale and I worked things out and I think its best if I stay with him.” She told him, not letting him get a word in. “I mean, we won't have to worry about our packs and it would just be better for the two of us to have alone time.”

“And you woke me up because this was important?”

“Yeah, I just didn't want you to worry when I didn't come home.”

“I kinda figured it out when I called your hotel and the lady told me that you weren't there.” He stated coolly. “I mean, you did go to get him back and its not like I sent you expecting you to come back empty handed if you came back at all.”

“You knew I was gonna stay?” She asked dumbfounded before looking at Kale who was just as shocked.

“I'm not stupid, Ame. He obviously didn't want to come back anytime soon and you would do just about anything to stay with him. Now that we've got that sorted out. I want to go back to sleep. You can call the airport and cancel your ticket. Now call me at a more decent time and we'll talk some more.”

“Okay. I love you, Darryn.”

“Love ya too, Ame. Night.” His end disconnected and Amelia hung up the phone on her end.

“What was all that about?” Kale asked curiously.

Amelia gave him a small smile, “He knew I probably wouldn't go home and that I need to call him later if I wanted to talk more. Oh! And I have to cancel the plane ticket myself.”

He laughed, “Well why don't you call and I'll get started on making us something to eat.”

“Alright.”

It took almost an hour to cancel the ticket and get it credited for another flight anywhere on the same airlines. By the time she was done both of Kale's parents were up and helping Kale make breakfast they all ate, happily chatting and when they were finished Sofia made them sit on the couch as she pulled out family albums while Dagney sat in the recliner across from them.

“Oh god, mother. Are you seriously going to do this?”

“Yes I am and you aren't going to say anything else about it.” Sofia snapped at him as she sat next to Amelia with a very large photo album and opened it up. The first picture was of a sonogram. “This is the first sonogram I got when I was pregnant.”

“Kale looks like a jelly bean,” Amelia mused with a laugh. When Kale pinched her leg she punched his arm.

“Stop it,” Sofia chided before flipping the page to the first pictures of her with two babies. “This is Kale,” she said pointing to the baby in her left arm. “And this is Daymond, Kale's twin brother.”

Amelia shot a look over to him, “You have a brother?”

“Had a brother. He died a few months after we were born,” Kale told her.

“Daymond he was born just as healthy as Kale. We just woke up one morning and he wasn't breathing, a doctor said it was SIDS,” Sofia said mournfully. “It was hard for me to carry any pregnancies before and after that to term. I had three before Kale was born and several after.”

“Don't think on it, Sofia.” Dagney said gently as he stood from his chair and sat next to his wife on the couch before taking her hand. “Daymond died when he was five and a half months and we both cherish the time we had with him. We also both thank god that Kale was healthy from birth.”

“I'm sorry,” Amelia said softly before flipping forward a few pages so that Sofia wouldn't have to see anymore pictures of Daymond. “How old was Kale in this picture?” She asked pointing to the one of him eating a crayon.

“He was four,” Sofia said with a laugh. “He thought that the brown crayon was supposed to taste like chocolate.”

“Mom,” Kale whined.

“Whining is not becoming of a man of your age, Kale.” Amelia chided before kissing his cheek and going back to looking at the album with his mother.

When they got to the last page she asked, “Do you have any more?”

“No, Kale stopped being so photogenic after his eighth birthday so these are all the pictures I did have.” Sofia sighed before a twinkle came to her eye and she said, “Maybe I'll have grandchildren soon and I'll be able to take pictures of them.”

Dagney laughed, “Don't get ahead of yourself, love. But I'm sure we'll be grandparents soon enough.”

Kale and Amelia both exchanged looks before Amelia spoke up, “Maybe, we'll see how things go. But eventually for sure.”

The day went on casually, all of them just sitting around and talking. When lunch came around Sofia and Amelia made it while the men stayed in the living room and after they ate Kale stated, “Shouldn't you call your brother back?”

“Oh! Thank you for reminding me.” She laughed, “I thought of something important he has to do.”

“And what is that?”

“He has to pick up my car from long term parking at the airport.” Amelia laughed, “God forbid it get impounded.”