Unbelievably Brilliant, Undoubtedly Impossible

chapter thirteen;

The next couple days passed by quickly, Andrea was starting to enjoy the practices more now that Michelle was there. She was the comic relief during the practice, something that Toni sometimes didn’t mind. Michelle also found it amusing to make fun of Xisca…right in front of her face, but she never once did realize that Michelle was actually mocking her.

“I can’t believe we’re going to Stuttgart,” Michelle said excitedly. “I’ve always wanted to go.”

Andrea looked at her friend confused, “You’ve always wanted to go to Stuttgart?”

“Well, no. I’m just trying to make this trip seem more interesting.”

“It will be interesting enough with having Xisca coming along. I still don’t understand why she has to come, even though Rafa’s not playing,” Andrea huffed.

“She’s coming so you won’t jump Rafa’s bones while he’s away,” Michelle said truthfully.

“I don’t want to jump Rafa’s bones,” she growled, weaving her way throughout the airport, following behind Rafa, Xisca, and Toni.

“That’s what you think,” Michelle sang, skipping along side.

The plane ride was uneventful, except for Xisca babying Rafa in the row directly in front of Andrea. Michelle made gagging noises every time, which she told Xisca were because of altitude sickness.

“You’re going to get caught one day,” Andrea snapped.

“And then I’ll finally put Xisca in her place.”

“Will you keep your voice down; they’re right in front of us!”

“When you will you learn to stick up for yourself. I hate watching you let people walk all over you. You’re better than that! You deserve better than Rafa,” Michelle whispered the last sentence.

Andrea hung her head in shame; she had lived her life in the background. Always letting other people take the limelight, many of her childhood friends didn’t even know that she had played junior tennis all over the world. The weeks she was gone from school were put off for sickness. Even when she played tennis, she shied away from the fans, the media and most optional interviews.

“I’m not trying to put you down Andy. I just want the best for you,” Michelle said softly, rubbing Andrea’s shoulder.

Andrea smiled weakly and then stared out the window at the passing clouds. She wasn’t exactly sure how this tournament was going to go; she had a top notch team following her, Rafa had supplied his physiotherapist, masseuse and coaching staff. She was a wildcard entering a WTA tournament after she hadn’t played for 5 years. Andrea was probably wasn’t going to make it far, but she wanted to prove something to herself and everyone else, that she was the best.

Rafa had made arrangements for Andrea, Michelle, Xisca and himself to stay at a house near the tournament venue. While the coaching staff would stay in another house down the street. He happily presented the house and boasted that this was the house that he stayed at when he played in Stuttgart.

“And this is your room, Andy,” Rafa said pointing at the room that was right next to his own.

“But Rafa!” Xisca whined, “I wanted this room.”

Rafa ran a hand over his face and sighed, “Your room is right across the hall and has a bigger closet.”

“Yay!” Xisca clapped excitedly, before scurrying off to her own room.

“Please tell me that I don’t have to share a bathroom with that…thing,” Michelle said, scrunching up her face.

“If I say yes, are you going to hit me?”

“Maybe.”

“Then I’ll leave you to answer your own question,” Rafa said quickly before running off to his own room.

Michelle smiled and then walked off to her own room, leaving Andrea alone in the hallway. She sighed and then walked into her room; it was a simple room, a queen sized bed with a simple oak dresser and matching vanity. The doorway to the bathroom was closed and locked, but somehow Rafa sat on her bed, a simple smile on his face.

“How did you get in here?”

“We have adjoining balconies, so I thought I would test them out. You know, just in case…”

“In case of what?” Andrea said, staring at Rafa hesitantly, sitting down at the vanity.

“In case we need to go over last minute game plans the night before a match.”

“That’s what doors are for, Rafael,” Andrea spat his name. “If you think that I’m going to be your girl on the side, well you’re wrong. You have a girlfriend across the hall, get some class.”

“I never said I wanted that,” he boomed, standing up.

“You implied that!” she said just as loud, standing up. Rafa had a good five inches on her, towering over her 5’8 frame. Their bodies were several feet apart, but even still, Andrea could feel the heat radiating off Rafa’s body. It taunted her, reminding her of the night in Madrid.

Rafa closed the gap, staring straight down into Andrea’s eyes, “I know you’re finding it hard to forget about Madrid, but please try. It was a big mistake on my part; I took advantage of you when I shouldn’t have. We need to have a strictly professional relationship.”

“Fine by me coach,” Andrea spat, turning her back on Rafa. He left without another word, leaving the window open. Andrea wiped away the hot tears that streamed down her face and watched Rafa gracefully leap over the barrier on the balcony. She made her way to the window and looked out onto the street. Cars whizzed by, which was very different than in Manacor; where cars were a rare sight.

The next day, the group had to go to the venue for registration and some pre-tournament interviews. Andrea was nervously running her hands through her hair as she stood outside the room where close to 30 reporters and photographers waited for her.

“Don’t be so nervous,” Rafa whispered from beside her, leaning against the door.

Andrea turned to look at Rafa with anxious eyes, “I haven’t stepped into a room like that for almost 4 years.”

“I don’t understand.”

“I played Junior Tennis Rafa, I know how the circuit works.”