Unbelievably Brilliant, Undoubtedly Impossible

chapter seven;

Andrea couldn’t stop beaming after the match. She felt like she had finally accomplished something for herself.

But the news she would receive would make her re-think this.

“And I’m proud to tell our ladies’ single’s winner,” Michael boomed, turning to Andrea. “That she has qualified for a semi-pro ladies tournament.”

Andrea felt the colour drain from her face.

“And I have more news!” Michael added eagerly. “Our guest coach, Mr. Nadal will act as your coach and trainer.”

Andrea’s eyes bulged out of her head when she heard this. She now had to spend another week with this guy?

Michelle noticed Andrea’s pained expression, “Andy. Don’t walk away from tennis for a second time. You’re meant for this sport.”

Andrea stood there; shocked. “How did…How do you –“

Michelle cut her off, “Not now. Go celebrate.” And with that, Michelle edged (more like pushed) Andrea to Rafa.

Andrea lost her footing; going up to the podium, but Rafa was there to catch her. It felt like déjà vu. Rafa’s face looked angelic, the sun forming a halo around his head.

Rafa laughed, “I feel like I’ve been in this situation before…”

Andrea lightly punched Rafa in the shoulder, “Me too.”

As the celebration dwindled down, Andrea found herself with Michelle, Rachel and Rafa. Michelle and Rachel were laughing about some funny moment that probably happened this week. While Rafa stood next to her, Andrea could feel the electricity between them.

Rafa softly brushed her hand, sending a spark up her arm. “What would it take for one champion to take another champion out to dinner?”

Andrea smiled, genuinely, “Not much.”

Rafa smiled, matching Andrea’s. The perfect moment was ruined by someone in the background making a gagging noise.

Andrea whipped around to catch Michelle red-handed, sending her a glare.

Michelle shrugged, “It’s true. You two are sick.”

Andrea put on a fake shocked look, “Well lucky you. You don’t have to put up with me tonight.”

Michelle turned to Rachel and they both exclaimed, “Yes!”

Andrea mumbled, “Thanks guys…”

And with that Rafa took Andrea and whisked her off to an elegant restaurant. Well, more like the dining room of his rented house. “I thought you might like this better, without the paparazzi.” Rafa explained.

“No, I like this. What’s more irresistible than home cooking?” Andrea asked teasingly. Dinner was simple; a meal that Rafa traditionally cooked for himself during tournaments.

Andrea was slowly starting to fall asleep, sitting on the couch, dangerously close to Rafa. “Do you want to spend the night?” Rafa asked quietly.

Andrea nodded sleepily. Rafa scooped Andrea up in his arms and carried her to the bedroom. “You know, since I’m sleeping over. That means I need to borrow pyjamas.

Rafa chuckled and tossed a pair of boxers and t-shirt at Andrea.

Andrea woke up in an unfamiliar bed with a pair of unfamiliar arms around her waist. She frantically tried to remember the night before.

Tennis Final – Winner…
Rafa’s dinner invitation…
Staying the night…

She heard someone laugh beside her. She turned to see Rafa with an amused look on his face. “We didn’t do anything last night.”

Andrea let out a sigh of relief, “Good…”

Rafa started making breakfast when he asked a surprising question. “Since we have a week before the tournament, how would you like to train in Spain?”

Andrea’s jaw dropped, “You’re serious?”

Rafa nodded, as if it wasn’t a big deal.

“I’d love too!” Andrea squealed.

“I was hoping you’d say that because I kind of already bought the plane tickets.” Rafa said sheepishly.

Andrea squealed again and started dancing around the kitchen, singing, “I’m going to Spain! I’m going to Spain!”

Rafa stopped her, “But you better pack you bags, the plane leaves tonight.”

Andrea face dropped, “So what are we doing standing around? Drive me to my flat!”

By the time they reached Andrea’s flat, she only had half an hour to pack. Just as she was going into her room to pack, Rafa yelled, “Bring something formal! You’re coming with me to Spain’s Athletic Banquet.”

That made Andrea’s job very hard. She was able to get her tennis gear and other clothing together fairly quickly. But she was ready to give up on the formal dress when she heard someone cough. Andrea looked up to see Rachel in the doorway, holding a dress.

“You’re almost the same size as me and it doesn’t look that great on me. So you’re welcome to wear it.” It being a black, backless halter style dress with delicate beading around the bust area.

Andrea was speechless, so she just hugged Rachel, whispering, “I owe you.”

And with her packing done, Andrea and Rafa were off to the airport. A short flight to Spain with tonnes of people asking for Rafa’s autograph. And with each one, he apologized profusely to Andrea. And with each apology Andrea would shrug it off.

The plane touched down in Madrid around 11pm, Rafa and Andrea groggily made their way to the hotel. They were both too exhausted to notice that there was only one bed.

But Rafa wasn’t too tired to notice that Andrea was wearing the same pyjamas as the night before.