Status: Active

All Was Golden in the Sky

Chapter Seven

It was just after dinner time by the time we arrived back home. Brendon hurried out of the car to open my door for me, casting a nervous glance at the bay window of the living room. I smiled and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, resisting the urge to pull him towards the side of the house for another passionate moment and instead leading the way up to the front door. Brendon gave my hand a tight squeeze as the door opened, and I could feel sweat forming on his palm. I glanced back at him, furrowing my eyebrows in concern.

“Bren—“

“Annie!”

I grunted as a force collided with me and arms pulled me into a tight embrace. Brendon’s eyes were wide and he chuckled as I turned to face my attacker. I resisted the urge to gag when a handful of blonde hair flew into my mouth, and I spit it out with a grin. “Emily!”

My sister’s laughter twinkled like the moonlight shining outside as she pulled away. “How’s it going, little sister?” She peered over my shoulder and winked at my boyfriend. “Hey there, Brendon.” She leaned forward to whisper in my ear. “I still don’t get how you managed to land him, ya know.”

Brendon and I laughed and Emily led us into the kitchen, where Mom was still dutifully working on the same puzzle. She waved as we walked in, taking another shot of coffee for help. Emily sat down opposite her, rolling the blue cow piece between her thumb and forefinger. “Well, come in and sit down, ya goofs. I want to hear what my sister has been up to!”

Brendon and I shared a quick look before settling next to them. Brendon seemed to have developed a soft spot for my mom; he cozied up next to her and leaned his forearms on the table, looking over the puzzle for any pieces he could help with. I sat down next to my sister and laughed at her wide eyed stare. “What?”

“Well, what’s new? Geeze, Annie, it’s like pulling teeth trying to get you to talk about yourself.”

Leave it to Emily to be abrasive from the get-go. I was surprised she was so curious; usually she always went off for hours about the latest drama at her work, or her opinion on the latest government issues. Hell, half the time growing up when I went to her with my woes she always turned her comforting lecture into a Russian history lesson. She must have been here a while if all that was already out of the way.

I shrugged. “I don’t know, not much really.” The look she gave me showed just how disappointed she was. “We’re going to Nags Head?”

Emily perked up. “Oh, Nags Head? It’s beautiful there! That’s gonna be awesome!”

I saw Brendon smile softly to himself as he spaced out staring at the puzzle. I recognized that smile. It was the one he wore every time he was excited about some kind of surprise. He’d worn it the time he had set up candles and rose petals in my room for my birthday when we first started dating.

Mom cheered as she poked the last puzzle piece into its place and stifled a yawn. “Well, kiddos, I’m off to bed,” she sighed, standing up and placing her mug in the sink. She gave Em and I both pecks on the forehead, and then surprised Brendon by giving him a kiss as well. “Brendon, you go ahead and sleep in Annie’s room. Gus was just moody yesterday.” She wagged a finger at us with a giggle. “Just no hanky panky, you two!”

Emily groaned and I buried my face in my hands to cover my blush. Brendon choked out a laugh. “I promise, no shenanigans Mrs. Greene,” he coughed. Mom giggled and wobbled up to bed, Sawyer lazily trailing behind her.

Brendon looked much happier at the blessing my mom gave, and judging by the glances he kept shooting towards the ceiling, I could tell he was eager to go up and finally catch up on the sleep he’d missed the night before. Before Emily could open her mouth, I raised my arms up in a stretch and faked a yawn.

“Man, I’m pretty beat. Bren, you ready for bed?” I could see Emily pout, but the smile Brendon shot me made my insides tingle.

“Yeah, babe. G’night, Em!” As soon as we were both standing he snatched my hand and nearly sprinted up the stairs, leaving me to shuffle along behind him. Emily barely had a chance to say good night back.

As the door closed behind us, I turned and smirked watching Brendon shimmy out of his clothes. “I think I’ve only ever seen you get this excited about sex and Nutella,” I laughed. He stuck his tongue out at me and tugged on an old t-shirt. I giggled and turned to pick up my pajamas from the floor.

“You know, you look really good in my old shirts.” I looked over my shoulder as I tugged said shirt on, letting it fall down to cover my panties. Brendon was sitting on my bed, nodding at me matter-of-factly.

“Oh do I?” I smirked and straddled his lap, letting my legs rest on the bed on either side of him. His face was all innocence, and he wrapped his arms around my hips with a solemn nod.

“Oh yeah. Some might even say you like pretty in it. Hell, I’d even go so far as to say beautiful.” His hands raised to my waist and suddenly he flipped me onto my back, laying over my body with all the tenderness in the world. “In fact, some might even say you’re—“ He flipped his hair and flicked his tongue “—hella damn sexy.”

My giggles turned into a soft moan when he pressed his lips to my throat, and I dragged my fingers along the back of his neck. “You promised my mom no hanky-panky,” I reminded him when his kisses moved to the sensitive spot behind my ear. His chuckle made me shiver.

“I promised her no shenanigans. And this,” he pulled back, staring down at me with a soft smile. His fingers brushed back the small hairs fraying at my temple. “This is too beautiful to be shenanigans.”

It had been two years since Brendon had first swept me off my feet, and still he could make me catch my breath with a few words. I watched my fingers trace the ink on his forearm, up to his shoulders and to his shaggy hair. He watched me admire him and placed a gentle kiss on my nose before laying down next to me, pulling me into his arms. I nuzzled my face into his chest and sighed at the feeling of his fingers weaving through my hair.

“Hey, Bren?”

“Hmm?”

“What happened when you and Dad went golfing?”

His fingers froze for a second before continuing to stroke my head. “Well, your dad got a lot of birdies, but I managed to keep it below par a time or two.” His chest vibrated with forced laughter, and I turned my head up to give him a look. He sighed. “It’s nothing, Annie. You know your dad—to him, you’re still his little girl. He’s just a little wary of giving you up to some guy. We just need to get to know each other more.”

I hummed and wrapped my arm against his waist, pressing my chest against his. “Don’t worry, Bren. Dad gets like that. Once he sees how happy you make me, he’ll lighten up.”

He smiled weakly. “Do I really make you happy, baby?”

I gave an incredulous laugh. “Oh, honey.” I sat up and rubbed my nose against his, just like I had before our first kiss. “I am so unbelievably happy with you, Brendon. I love you so much. I can’t imagine ever feeling for anyone the way I feel about you.”

His smile was brighter than the moon shining in through the window when he pulled me in for a kiss. “I want to make you happy every day of your life,” he whispered.

“You already do.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, it's been a while...like years. And for that I sincerely apologize. But I'm making a real effort to start keeping up with these stories better than I did. This one's kinda a filler, kinda important, but the next chapter will be up soonish =)