An Unordinary Adventure of An Ordinary Girl

Part 3

You sit silently on the bed, Leiru standing in front of you. He has told you some incredible things and you are trying your best at understanding it. According to him, a girl called Yuki has exchanged bodies with YOU. To make matters even worse, this isn’t your world anymore, as you had been transferred to a parallel world, which means there is no one here you know. And, of course, to top it off, you can’t go back to your body, until Leiru finds Yuki... who is actually in your body right now... Sounds tricky enough already? Then get this – Leiru is actually a guardian angel, sent to watch over Yuki... Well, apparently, he has just failed, seeing as Yuki is gone and you are now in her place.

“This is just... great...” You say sarcastically.

“I’m… very sorry about this. There’s nothing I can do right now to help you, Aya...” Leiru says hesitantly.

You look at him to see the angel looking sad.

“It seems I have failed,” he whispers.

“N-no... It’s alright, I’m fine, really,” you smile, trying to comfort him, “After all, we only need to find Yuki, right?”

Leiru looks at you and nods, “Yes.”

“Then, let’s find her,” you smile cheerfully.

Leiru smiles at you too:

“I’ll try me best. But, I’m afraid it will take some time. There are many parallel worlds and I’ll just have to check them all.”

Your eyes widen, “That’s right... but... how are you going to find her among so many other souls?.. “

“I can tell her soul apart from others easily. I’m an angel; after all, I should be able to do as much,” he answers you calmly.

“Wow... You’re incredible!” You smiled, not noticing surprised Leiru’s expression, “I wish I could help you though...”

“Maybe you can.”

“Really?” You look up at Leiru a bit joyfully. You felt like you had to do something not to think about your family. Just to engage in some kind of activity, no matter what it was.

“I... I know I’ll be asking much, but...”

“Well? What is it?” You ask impatiently.

“I was wondering whether you could pretend to be Yuki for a little while. You see, the search for Yuki could last a few weeks, even a month... Until everything goes back to its places, you could live here as Yuki.”

You look at Leiru amazed, “How can I? I… I don’t know a thing about this world or Yuki!”

“Don’t worry, I’ll tell you everything and I’ll always be near you to help out. I’ll also search for Yuki and she’ll definitely come back, so you just have to pretend you’re Yuki for a short while. The doctor and everyone around think you have amnesia, so it will be normal that you won’t know some things,” explains Leiru.

“That sounds logical… but I still don’t know…” You were still doubtful.

You think for a while as Leiru kept silent, waiting for you response. You give a deep sigh:

“Well, it’s not like I really have a choice. I can’t go around claiming to be myself, huh…”

“Yes, indeed,” Leiru nodded.

“I guess... I’ll go along with your plan for a while,” you smile, “But you’ve got to find Yuki as soon as possible.”

Leiru smiled as well:

“Yes, I promise. And don’t worry about anything, I’ll help you out. This is only temporarily, until I find Yuki.”

You nod and smile as you yawn. Leiru gives you a warm and a bit sympathetic smile:

“I’m sorry, Aya. I’ve tired you out. You should get some rest. We’ll talk later in the morning.”

You nod and lie down. To your surprise, Leiru covers you and makes you sure you’re warm and comfortable. You blush a little as you feel as a child again.

“Rest well tonight, Aya. Don’t worry; everything will be fine in the end.”

You only nod, as you feel drowsing into your own dream world.

“Yes, rest,” Leiru sits down on the bed beside you, “I’ll keep watch over your dreams.”

‘Keep watch over my dreams?.. What’s that?..’ The last thoughts cross your mind as you fall asleep. You barely feel something soft brush your forehead as a soft whisper reaches your tired ears:

“Thank you, Aya.”

***
You wake up in the morning and feel really refreshed. To your surprise, you haven’t slept that good in a long time. As you look around, thinking whether everything yesterday was just a dream or not, you notice a man kneeling near your bed, his head and hands on it. He’s still sleeping and while you wonder, who he is and what he’s doing here, you suddenly remember he’s the man from yesterday, the one, who claimed to be your father. Everything comes back to you and you sigh realizing everything was real after all.

“He sat here watching you sleep all night,” You hear Leiru’s voice, “He really loves you…
well, I mean, Yuki… Oh, what am I saying?” Leiru shakes his head sadly.

“It’s alright, I understand,” you smile gently and look at the man again. ‘Huh? Wait a minute...’

You turn to the angel and whisper:

“Leiru! Hide, quickly! What if he sees you?!”

Leiru looks at you surprised, then chuckles:

“Don’t worry, he won’t. Humans can’t see me, unless I want them to.”

“Oh... how... convenient,” you mutter.

Leiru laughs, watching you.

A few hours later you have a talk with the doctor and your new father. You pretend to have amnesia like everyone thinks. The doctor advises to take you home and let you meet up with friends and family as that might help you remember everything. You keep silent about the fact you already know everything and just go with the flow for now. The next few days pass smoothly. You find out that your father cares about you very much and that Yuki only has her father as a family. More importantly, your new dad seems to be filthy rich and you soon get accustomed to living in your new house. Well, who wouldn’t? It’s good to be rich, after all. Also, apparently, Yuki doesn’t really have friends and you soon come to a conclusion she’s a bit of a loner. That kind of makes it easier, actually, as you have fewer opportunities to slip. Anyhow, a week flies by as you try to learn everything you can about Yuki, which is extremely little. She literally has NO friends - no phone numbers in address books, no notes, no diaries, no nothing. You sigh, looking at her class photo. It’s hard to believe this girl is the very same one you see every day in a mirror. Braids? Glasses? Come on! It’s 21st century, for god’s sake! You peer at Leiru, who’s rummaging around Yuki’s notebooks.

“You do realize I’m not going to wear glasses and braids...” You finally state your opinion.

Leiru looks back at you surprised:

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“I said I am NOT going to braid my hair and wear these stupid glasses,” you repeat somewhat irritated.

“Why not?” You almost receive a heart attack when you see share surprise in his face.

“Cause it’s stupid! No one wears such things anymore! And... That’s the reason she has no friends! Who’d ever even talk to a girl like her?!” You shout wholeheartedly.

Leiru stands up, putting his arms in front of his chest:

“This kind of image is perfect for keeping a low profile. Yuki herself wanted it that way.”

“Low profile?!” You snicker, “Is she a gangster or something?..”

You look at the confused angel:

“I’m not gonna go out like this.”

“Yes, you are.”

“No, I’m not.”

“You are.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“NO,” you say angrily.

“Aya, stop being childish.”

You glare at Leiru and then grin widely.

“Fine,” you turn around and seemingly accidentally push the glasses down. They fall on the ground and you, again accidentally, step on them, braking the fragile glass.

“Whoops!” You bent down and pick them up, “Oh my... they’re all broken. What will I ever do?.. Such a pity.”

Leiru walks up to you from behind, snatching the glasses away from you.

“THAT was on purpose,” he glares at you accusingly.

You try to act innocent, “Was it now?”

Leiru grins and you suddenly feel as if you’re in a trap. You see how Leiru’s hands glow in a white light and the glasses are all fine again. You gasp.

“Here are you glasses, my dear,” Leiru gives you the repaired glasses, “Please, don’t to forget to wear them tomorrow to school.”

You look at Leiru’s self-confident smile, as he turns away.

“Cheater!” You shout to him.

“Am I now?”

“Tch,” you grit your teeth in bitterness of losing.

***
You realize you’ve totally lost this battle as in the morning you obediently braid your hair and put on the glasses. You sigh. ‘I only hope this doesn’t turn into a catastrophe. Damn it, whose idea was it to keep everything a secret?..’
You sigh again as you remember how Leiru decided it would be better if no one in school knew about your ‘amnesia’. So, in other words, all your classmates were only told you were gone because of the car accident, but no memory loss. You shake you head, looking yourself up and down in a mirror.
‘She looks really pretty, why hide behind stupid glasses and braids?.. Tch, I swear, if I ever get an opportunity to get rid of it, I definitely will...’ You say to yourself as you venture out to school.