I Don't Belong Here

Chapter One

“Sera? Sera! Stop your daydreaming, girl!” Miss Durdin chastised me. I jumped, startled out of a wonderful daydream, focusing on the so much uglier reality in front of me instead. “Uh.. sorry.. what was the question?” I asked ungracefully. Miss Durdin only ‘tsked’ at me and turned to the chalkboard again. As per usual, the dumbasses around me started snickering again at my wandering attention. Was it my fault English class was the most boring subject ever invented? No. So why was I the constant target of ridicule in this class? In every class? Not a clue. Maybe it was my dark clothes. Maybe it was my short black hair with the bright green stripe in front. Maybe it was the fact that my name was Seraiah, which no one seemed able to pronounce. Or, maybe it was because I was always daydreaming, drawing, walking alone with no visible friends. Yeah, it was probably all of those.

Finally, after being freed from that insufferable class, I was able to go home. Cameron, leader of the Idiot Clan, always waited for me beside my locker at the end of the day – not out of affection, but because I was a favorite among jocks who wanted to come and have a good laugh at me.

“Hey there, Freak,” he said cheerfully, giving a short wave. Ignoring him, I opened my locker and got out my bag, shoving back in the books I didn’t need to take home. “Aw, so it’s like that, huh?” he asked sarcastically as I continued my silence, closing the locker door. Turning around to leave, I found myself face-to-chest with Rodney, the troll of a football player that was somehow even more stupid than Cameron, but a very valued athlete of the school.

“Where you goin’ Loser?” he boomed down at me, a sick smile on his grossly hairy face.

“Home,” I said curtly, trying to step around him. This was impossible; he took up most of the hallway.

“Naw, I don’t think you are,” he said. His tone was quieter, but somehow menacing. Craning my neck to look up at him, I swallowed - there was definitely something wrong about the way he was smiling at me. No one ever smiled at me, unless…

“Get her,” I heard Cameron say calmly from behind. Easily, Rodney threw me over his shoulder and traipsed out the back door of the school. I tried screaming but from what little I could see, there was no one left in the school. Still, I stopped once I felt the blow Cameron’s fist made against my skull. Pain erupted from my temple, sending little dots to dance before my eyes. From what I could hear, half the football team was behind the school, waiting… for what? What was happening to me?

“Let me go! Cameron, let me go!” I started screaming again, flailing uselessly against Rodney’s body.

“Ain’t the one who gotcha,” he taunted, smirking. “There, put her in the trunk,” he added, directing this to Rodney.

Suddenly I was hurled into a very dark, very cramped space. ‘I’m in the trunk of a car!’ I realized with horror. Immediately claustrophobia started creeping up on me, making me panic and hyperventilate slightly. Before I passed out from nerves, I heard the muffled laughter of several deep voices right outside the car.