Valdis

Gawain and Proserpine

Running was the only important thing now. The village rose-up in flames and the screams of the innocent could be heard all around. The barbarians from the night before began pillaging all the homes in search of money and the owner's wives and daughters. A boy of 16 manages to escape the carnage but just barely. One of the brutes entered his home and slaughtered his uncle. The only family he had left.

The same barbarian that killed his Uncle runs out of the dwelling and his bloodshot eyes fall on the boy. He lets out a scream of triumph and raises his heavy, blood-stained ax. The boy stands frozen at the spot. The roof of the burning home gives way, and tons of burning wood collapses on the scum, ending his life.

Freeing himself from paralysis, the boy runs to the nearby woods, knowing the other brutes would come searching for him all too soon. He runs for what seems like hours and reaches the steep climb of Mount Proserpine, the forbidden mountain. He hesitates and hears the CLANG of heavy, tempered armor off in the distance. He could have cared less for his now dead village's superstitions and began the bitter climb upward.

The climb was rough and dangerous. Behind him, the boy could smell the heavy, stinking breathe of his assailants as they drew ever closer. He gathers up his strength and climbs faster. Finally, the boy reaches the summit and is greeted by the sight of some strange ruins. It seemed a temple stood upon this mountain, but it had lost the battle to the elements. Two mighty statues stand before the entrance. One was a woman of unmatched beauty with sad face. The other one, a fell beast which stood on all-fours that was part snake, lion, and hawk that seemed ready to pounce any unlucky fool before it. Some strange force beckons him to the entrance and he walks in without a second thought.

Once inside, he notices a peculiar smell. The walls around him gave him the impression he was inside a tomb than an actual temple. There is odd writing on the walls that depict a man that glowed yellow and turned into the beast out at the entrance. Hesitantly, he searches for a place to hide but almost lost breathe from the amazing sight. Before him, lay a small pool filled with some gold- like liquid. The odd smell from before is heavier here. Tempted by sight, he out-stretches his hand. A feminine, all most serpentine-like voice came from the darkness.

"A new one! I'm surprised you made it considering your age."

The boy turns around, white as a sheet, when from the darkness came a majestic beauty, exactly like the statue outside if not for her devilish smile. He regains his voice and asked in a most tentative voice, "Who are you?"

"I have been given many names, but you may call this form Proserpine. But the better question is who are you?"

The boy's mouth moves to answer but no words came out. He thought about it long and hard but can not remember his name. the movement of the boy's confused eyes was the only answer Proserpine needed. “That’s right. One of the effects by crossing the statues is that you forget your original name. But it is vital that you have one so at least I have something to call you.” The beauty silently seems to glide toward him and came level to the boy’s bewildered face. “You shall be named Gawain from this day forward”

Gawain looks up at Proserpine, “What is this place?”

The voluble and pretentious Proserpine seems to ready herself for a story she knew by heart. “Once this was a temple dedicated to the goddess of the underworld, whose form I take at this moment”, Proserpine moves her hand before her to exemplify her point. “But before that there was no temple and only that pool”, she points at the golden water before her, “the Pool of Transformation. In this world there exist six other pools like this one but each giving a different power. There exists one for strength, invisibility, levitation, and so on. It is said that the one who finds all the pools will become like a god.”

Gawain took this all in and asks, “How many have you found?” The expression on Proserpine’s face was one of surprise that quickly vanishes as the smile from before returns.

“Only this one, but why would I want any of that? With this power alone, I can become any animal I wish.” Proserpine’s form quivers as she fell on all fours as a wolf, then rose to the air as a hawk, and finally returns to her first form. “And if I tire of being a woman”, the beauty’s form quivered again and before Gawain stood a handsome young chap, “I become a man!” Gawain almost could not believe his eyes. “And now it is your turn to choose,” Proserpine said, again a woman.

Gawain quickly took a step back and was about to shout list acrimonies toward Proserpine till she adds “Ah, I forgot the best part. You also become immortal, too.” Gawain pauses and she or rather it smiled. “Enter the pool, and when you rise, a new being shall be born!” Gawain smiled with excitement but stopped before taking a step forward. Proserpine began to chide, “Does dear Gawain have cold feet?”

Gawain did not raise his head but speaks in a low voice “No…I was followed here.

”Really! By whom,” Proserpine asks unable to hide her erratic excitement.

Gawain spoke in a cold voice filled with contempt, “Barbarians that destroyed my village and killed my family.”

Proserpine barely heard as she contemplates some esoteric thought of what she would do next. ”Come outside with me so we may greet our guests,” a wicked smile passing over the beauty’s face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Different from my other story, but i like it enough. Will try to post the next chapter soon and update Silver by Monday at the latest ;]