The Stealing of Half a Kiss

Living in the past

Touching her lips had become a quirk, a little nervous tick that she didn’t really want to change. She had grown to love that tick that made her feel like she did that day almost four years before.

Penelope, with her now short blonde hair and sun-tanned skin, still felt the half kiss Greg Cates had planted on her the day of graduation. When she gets nervous, it’s her comfort; when she gets mad, it’s her tranquilizer; when she’s happy, it’s her melancholy. And so, she lived, with the constant reminder of a promise that she had lost faith in as soon as it had happened.
Sure, it would have been nice to believe in the fairytale that Greg had promised, but she understood right away that in the real world you cannot just wait for a wish to come true. You must make it happen.
Therefore, that twitch, quirk or tick as she called it, was just a nice faded memory that made her return to fantasy land whenever she needed an escape from the real world.

And that day it was an escape what she needed. It was 4 PM on a sunny Tuesday afternoon in the extremely big city she had come to live in. She felt extremely tiny, insignificant at the moment, as she approached the big corporate building that held the place where she was about to have her interview. The flowing black skirt that hugged her hips and the tall dark stilettos made her look taller and much more confident than usual blended her perfectly with the whole crowd that walked rapidly around her.

Penelope knew not how she had come to get that far when she found herself on the elevator that rapidly took her to the 56th floor. She was shaking and felt really on the verge of fainting. She sat down quietly, trying to exude calmness when she arrived at the waiting room, where she was alone.

“Breathe in. . . breathe out,” she murmured to herself an echo of what Greg had taught her long ago, while practicing for the school play.

“Breathe,” he was laughing. Again.

“Shut up,” Penelope scowled while walking up and down the small corridor backstage. Everyone was running around, preparing, while she tried hard not to faint. Greg, on the other hand, was just standing against the wall, watching her freak out.

“Have I told you how beautiful you look?” he asked, after a little while. She stopped walking and turned to see him.

“What did you say?” she questioned, with her eyebrows raised and her face a little pink.

“I said,” Greg started, walking closer to her, “that you look beautiful.”


“You can enter now,” the voice of the secretary made Penelope jump a little, but she subtly recovered and followed suit. The first thing she noticed as she entered was the huge window that was certainly imposing. The sky was a deep blue without any cloud in sighting. She, again, took a deep breath.

She approached the person that was sitting in front of the window. The old man was watching her intently, while she debated on whether to first take a seat across of him, or shake his hand. She opted for the second option.

“So, you are Penelope,” the man stated, while he crossed his hands on top of the desk. She nodded.

“Yes, Penelope Rotell, sir,” she hesitated when she added the last word.

“You’ve left quite an impression over my son,” again, a statement.

“I wouldn’t know,” Penelope could feel her cheeks growing pink. The thought of James Hert, son of the man that was sitting in front of her, talking about her to his father was quite unnerving.

“Well, he has certainly set his eyes on you,” he continued, “but, rest assured that your coming here has nothing to do with the relationship you may or may not have with him.”

She kept silent for a few seconds before he continued.

“I’ve seen your curriculum; your portfolio; your prior work; your recommendations, and I must say, they’re all impressive,” finally Mr. Hert cracked a smile.

“Greg, are you high?” Penelope shifted a little uncomfortably as he grew closer and closer. In her urge to keep distance with the boy that made her heart skip, she started walking backwards. He responded by walking forward.

Soon, she had nowhere to go as her back rested on the wall. Greg smiled “I love it when you get so nervous,” and then he laughed. He turned around, “You’ll do fine.”

“Have I told you how much I hate you?” Penelope asked, when she regained her composure and her heart rate started going back to normal.

“Million of times, dear,” Greg answered, in a mock tone that he supposed expressed upset.


Penelope smiled as Mr. Hert talked about the job opportunity. Sure, it wouldn’t pay that much, but she was just asking for an internship, and the name alone of the company she would be working in was a great acquisition to her curriculum.

“And you’ll be given the chance to go up a few notches in the company, and it’s a great learning experience for when you’ve gotten your college degree”

“Thank you, sir. You won’t regret it. I know I’m not qualified enough for the work yet, but I’ll be in no time. I’ll work my ass off to achieve that,” Penelope suddenly stopped what had become a rant and closed her eyes in frustration and embarrassment. “Did I just say ass? I did, right? Oh… and I did it again… I’m so sorry, sir”

By that point Mr. Hert was chuckling, “Now, that was entertaining”

“Sorry”

“No need to be sorry. It was fun, really. Not many people that come here let their words flow like that,” Mr. Hert, that seemed so intimidating, looked a lot more kind when he laughed and that made her feel slightly better.

“Did I say how sorry I am?” Penelope said, with an embarrassed smile.

“Don’t be repetitive, dear. I’ll end this torture for you, you can go now. The job is yours and my secretary will give you all the details.”

“Thank you so much, Mr. Hert. I appreciate it and definitely will not disappoint you,” she stood up and started walking away, feeling slightly self-conscious, but with great relief.

“You better, darling, you better work your ass off,” she heard him laughing as she reached the door, and again, her face became pink. Just then, the door burst open and a familiar face appeared.

“You’re overreacting,” Greg was still laughing. Oh, how much she wanted to hit him, but there was something about his laughter that she loved.

“Well, what do you expect? You’re a pain”

“Yes, I am, but tell me that it didn’t work for you to forget about your imminent debut in the play, leading lady?” his hand suddenly appeared on her shoulder, and his voice tone was much softer.

“Oh great, I’m nervous again.”

“Penelope! You’re next!” their drama teacher appeared out of the blue, waving a big notepad.

“Breathe in, breathe out,” Greg softly murmured into her ear and then pushed her.

“Hey!” Penelope turned to see him, with an angry face “Was pushing me really necessary?”

“No, but it was fun.”


James Hert entered the room swiftly, and before anybody could say anything, he had taken hold of Penelope’s waist and raised her in the air. “Congratulations, you abnormally nervous girl!”

“James, what did I tell you about proper conduct in the office?” Mr Hert Senior asked from his desk.

“Tell me you didn’t love this girl I have right now in my arms.”

“James, put me down,” Penelope said, trying not to laugh “You’re not helping my case here. That’s two embarrassing situations now.”

“Oh, don’t tell me you started talking without stop again. I missed that?” James laughed, making his abundant messy hair play around his head. She rolled her eyes.

“I’ll kick you,” she menaced, half joking.

“And I’m so scared. . .” James started but got interrupted by his father.

“You two, lovebirds! I have work to do! Ok?” Mr. Hert didn’t seem mad, but was definitely bordering with annoyed. James laughed, muttered an apology and grabbed Penelope by her arm, pulling her out.

“Your father is going to hate me,” Penelope sighed but James just waved his hand with indifference.

“He will certainly not. Who could hate you?” James said teasingly.

She huffed but smiled.

“Look, just get all the info you need,” he said, pointing to Mr. Hert’s secretary, “and then we’ll go to celebrate.”

“James, I would love to, but I’ve no money,” she said, again, a little ashamed.

“I’ll pay everything,” James said seriously, watching her straight into her eyes, “considerate it the date you’ve been denying me for years.”

Penelope sighed and looked one last time to Greg before walking into the stage. He gave her the thumbs up and said nothing.

But as she walked away, he just couldn’t tear his stare off of her, and silently said, almost to himself.

“You really are beautiful”
♠ ♠ ♠
"Ancient lovers believed a kiss would literally unite their souls, because the spirit was said to be carried in one's breath.”

Eve Glicksman