Spike Me and Save Me

Graceland

Bob’s P.O.V.

I was staring out the windshield. Worm and I were out driving, trying to find the bar Mikey had been to last night. He had taken a cab home – luckily. He was the most careful of us all – perhaps because he had learned from Gerard’s mistakes. Hopefully he will still be able to.
I shook my head mentally and concentrated on the road’s surroundings. I noticed that Worm was complaining about the car in front of us.

“Pick a fucking speed, grandma!” I couldn’t help but smile. Suddenly I saw the black SUV parked in a parking lot further ahead.

“There”, I said and pointed.

“Thank god! Then we won’t be stuck behind this freaking idiot!” My smile widened. He was always unbelievably impatient. It always amused me.
He parked the car next to the one we had been searching for, for the last 45 minutes, and I got out. I walked around the two cars, unlocked the newly found car and opened the door.

“See ya back at the bus”, Worm yelled through the open window and backed up. He was out of the parking lot, before I had even stuck the keys in the ignition. I noticed an empty beer bottle on the passenger seat. Mikey must have gotten into the car, before realising that it wasn’t a good idea to drive. Thank god for that.

On my way back, I ran the new information from last night through my head. I had tried to think about it before, but I didn’t know what to think – how to react. He might be dying. Well, he is dying. Or… Is he? He’s sick, but… He could survive. The chemo could save him. Cure him. But if it doesn’t… If he died…
I stopped myself. It hurt too much. My throat was aching, my stomach was turning and my eyes weren’t focusing.
I shook my head and concentrated on the road. I can’t deal with this. Not now. Everything is going to be okay, and if it isn’t… I’ll deal with the pain then. I won’t think about it now. There’s no need for pain now – no need for me to be sad about something that might never happen.
I shouldn’t take my sorrows in advance.