‹ Prequel: Not What I Expected

My Secret Untold

Chapter 15

I sat in the hospital cafeteria, waiting for Sydney to come to. All my concentration was on her thoughts which were currently blank due to her unconsciousness. It only made me more impatient.

Staring at the drink in front of me, I sighed and leaned back against the seat.

I couldn't get that night out of my head. Not only did I kill my ex girlfriend that turned out to be a psycho vampire, I saved Sydney in a way I never thought I'd ever resort to. I was completely stressed out.

Suddenly, I heard Sydney's thoughts awaken slowly and I immediately got out of my seat. I stood still for a moment, making sure she really was coming to, but I started moving once I knew she was awake.

As I walked up to Sydney's hospital room, I listened to her conversation with the nurse while remembering when some of her friends came to visit her when she was unconscious. One that stuck out was her friend, Julie.

She was already on edge when she came in the hospital for her personal reasons, but when she saw me, she got angry. She assumed I had hurt Sydney and I couldn't believe her. If only she could truly see my mind like I see hers. She would have understood then.

By the time Julie finally left, she established she was going to kill me if I ever hurt Sydney and then she rushed out of the hospital. I didn't get her at all. She was so... distracted.

Finally, I reached Sydney's room and I took a deep breath before I knocked on the door and walked in.

"Welcome back," the nurse greeted me with a smile.

I glanced at Sydney's heart monitor when her heart rate sped up. The nurse and I laughed at that.

Alex...

My attention was soon on her and I smiled warmly at her.

"Well, I'll go and leave you two. I'll be back in a few hours," the nurse stated as she rushed out of the room.

I shut the door behind her and came to Sydney's side, anxious to finally talk to her.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Better, but I'm all confused."

I smiled again, "I knew you would be. What are you confused about?"

"What happened to Cacie? How did you get us out of there."

I inwardly shuddered, remembering that night again.

"Well, after you passed out, I managed to get to Cacie and I guess you can say," I paused in hesitation, "I got rid of her."

I watched her look at her bandaged arm, "Oh..."

I stared sadly at her arm and how that it could have been prevented if I would have been more careful.

"Your thoughts scared me when you were falling unconscious," I admitted, trying to start a new topic.

"I'm sorry," she apologized without looking at me.

I sighed, "It's over now. It doesn't matter. You're alive and okay."

I saw her smile and turn pink.

Then she brought up what I was afraid to explain.

"Alex?"

"I'm really sorry," I said with all the sincerity I could muster.

"What exactly did you do?"

I didn't want to tell her, but I had to.

"Well, instead of drinking your blood like Cacie wanted..." I scratched the back of my head in nervousness," I kind of... well... um..."

"Is it really that hard to say?" she questioned.

She had no idea.

"Kind of."

Sydney smiled, "Okay then. I can wait for you to find the right words."

I sighed again and pulled up a chair beside her hospital bed. I laid my arms on the edge of her bed while resting my head on my head. I looked at her with conflict in my heart.

"Do you remember the day you asked me about the point of my fangs since I don't drink blood?"

"That night was the night I hid up at Dairy Queen," she replied while blushing.

I sat up and stared around the room to look for courage, "Okay..."

I was surprised she was being so patient with me. I had to speed things up though.

Finally, I looked back at her, "That night... when I said that drinking blood wasn't the only use... You thought of something that wasn't... well... what I was thinking of..."

I heard it click in her head and her face turned red like that of an apple. Heat came of her face in waves and I was wondering if she was angry or happy.

"Are you okay?" I asked curiously.

She shook her head no and cover her face.

Eventually her thoughts became clearer and I smiled at the one that kept running through her mind.

"Y-You... W-We're... b-bonded?" she questioned.

I felt guilty, "I'm really really sorry. I didn't want to turn you into a vampire so I did the only other thing I could do."

Sydney began to take deep breaths and I chuckled lightly.

"Are you going to be okay?"

She nodded, taking another deep breath.

I waited quietly as she calmed down and soon a small smile crept onto my face when her thoughts were clear again.

"So now..." she finally spoke, "we're, like, together... forever?"

I gave her another guilty look, "Or until one of us dies."

She nodded slowly in understanding, though her thoughts were still in a slight haze.

"You're really going to be okay?" I asked again.

"Yeah... I'm just trying to convince myself that I'm not dreaming."

What? I was confused. She was supposed to be mad at me, right?

"So you're not mad at me?"

"Why would I be mad? You saved me, choosing the option that would hurt me less," she answered. "I couldn't be mad at you even if I tried..."

That girl was amazing. She didn't hate me. She was actually glad I did what I did. I couldn't believe her.

Suddenly, I leaned towards her and kissed her cheek quickly.

Her heart machine went crazy and I chuckled, placing my hand on her uninjured arm.

"Is everything okay?" the nurse asked as she frantically ran into the room.

"Yes," I answered with a laugh.

I laughed more inside when she realized why Sydney's heart sped up.

"Okay. Be careful not to scare us like that," the nurse grinned before leaving.

I smiled, "You need to control that."

"But you- jerk..." Sydney muttered.

I laughed at her and rested my head on her bed, facing towards her so I could watch over her. I kept a smile on my face and her cheeks turned red again. I smiled wider.

Slowly I closed my eyes and tried to sleep the best a vampire could, but I was fully aware of Sydney's eyes on me.

Thank you for everything and I'm glad I know what you are... I heard her think before her mind turned to her dreams.

She fell asleep and I was finally happy with how my life was turning out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well my surprise was going to be a picture of Alex, but I can't get the dumb thing to work so I'll try and put it in my profile so that you can see it. :D Or I'll just put it as a photo album or something. :D Please let me know what you think. :D