‹ Prequel: Not What I Expected

My Secret Untold

Chapter 5

As I drove to church the following Sunday, I thought about Sydney's reaction the night of the concert.

I couldn't understand why every time she saw Cacie and I together, it made her hurt so bad. I felt even worse when I saw her dreams. Every dream was sad, or was of the concert.

Yes, I did follow her home. To be honest, I was worried about her. I didn't know if she would want to hurt herself and I wanted to stop her if she did. I would have felt even worse if that was the case.

I finally pulled into the church parking lot and I noticed her thoughts fighting to be optimistic. I didn't like how I caused her so much trouble.

I walked into the youth building and I heard her friends point me out to Sydney.

She didn't even look up.

She kept telling herself that she wasn't angry, just incredibly stubborn at the moment.

You're right on that one, I teased, trying to lighten her mood.

She scrunched up her nose and tried to ignore me.

"Did you just smell something bad, or does you nose itch?" I heard her friend, Bethany, ask.

I watched Sydney smirk, "I'm leaning more on the smelly thing."

I deserved it.

Ouch I responded.

Guilt swept through her and she began to convince herself that she was a horrible person.

I just kept feeling worse and worse.

You're not a horrible person, I smiled. You're just upset.

She pouted, Why do you think I'm upset?

My words dripped with sarcasm, I'm sure you've never felt this way before. You forget what I am.

Sydney scowled and crossed her arms, looking to the ground.

I knew I just made her more upset and I didn't want her to feel that way anymore.

Don't be upset. You obviously got through those other times with no problems.

But every time, my hope was shattered.

I didn't expect her saying that would make me feel like the biggest jerk in the world.

Crud... Now I want to hit myself for that... she thought regretfully.

I quickly went back to my car and got in.

I heard her mind panic when she saw that I disappeared, but I just couldn't speak to her then.

I started my car and drove to the Dairy Queen up the street. I stayed in the parking lot and listened to her thoughts.

That's when I decided that I was going to make it up to Sydney. I just didn't know how...
♠ ♠ ♠
There's five. Please comment. I'll try and get six out tomorrow but I have a church event to go to so it'll be either around 3:30 or 10:00. It all depends. I'll try my best. Thank you.