‹ Prequel: Not What I Expected

My Secret Untold

Chapter 8

When we got to Cacie's house, Sydney argued and argued against coming in with me. I guess that was okay because I really just wanted to tell Cacie what was going on.

I knocked on Cacie's front door and her mom answered. She greeted me and let me in, calling Cacie from upstairs.

"Alex!" she exclaimed when she saw me at the foot of the steps.

She came down the stairs rather gracefully and gave me a hug. She went to kiss me, but for some reason, I turned my head and she only kissed my cheek. She didn't seem to notice it.

"So why are you here?" she asked with a smile.

"I wanted to let you know that we can't hang out tonight because I'm helping a friend out tonight," I answered coolly.

"Who? Is your friend a girl?"

She was getting jealous now. That was why I didn't mind Sydney staying in the car.

"Yes, my friend is a girl and I'm only helping her out. She had a rough day yesterday and I'm helping her escape it all."

Cacie narrowed her eyes for a split second before smiling, "Okay! I guess we can hang out tomorrow or something."

I smiled back, "Thank you. Well, I'll see you later."

"Okay."

Cacie this time kissed me roughly and then smiled as I walked out the door.

She shut the door behind me and I ran my hand through my hair out of stress.

I did not like how she kissed me, but that was the least of my worries. I had Sydney to help.

I got in my car and shut the door rather hard and Sydney jerked awake.

"Sorry," I apologized, starting the car.

She waved it off and rested her head against the back of her seat.

"So where to next?" she asked.

"I don't know."

I honestly couldn't think straight. I had too much on my mind.

"That was helpful."

Her sarcasm made me smile.

"Pick somewhere," I offered.

She sighed and ran a lot of options through her head. I liked a lot of them, but she didn't seem to.

"I really don't care where we go. You're driving... You choose somewhere."

"Okay," I remembered one of the places she thought of, "How about the park?"

"You really want to hang around me at the park?" she questioned, truly surprised.

I smiled, "Sure. Why not?"

She shrugged, "Alrighty then. Let's get going because I'm feeling a bit awkward with Cacie most likely watching."

How right she was.

"She is watching."

"And you're just going to let her trust in you evaporate?"

I think I was letting it happen.

"She's just protecting our relationship," I defended, though I didn't understand why.

"Whatever..." she muttered.

I put the car in drive and I wondered about Sydney. I didn't understand her yet and it was so odd for me not to get her. Even her thoughts sometimes made no sense to me. But I did understand her suspicion of being watched.

Cacie was watching my every move and it was unnerving.

Sydney and I got to the park and hardly anyone was there. I could sense she was feeling awkward by how she moved as we walked around. She was fidgeting a lot and looking down.

"What are we going to do exactly?" she questioned.

"I'm not sure. There's a whole park here. I guess we'll play it by ear," I smiled.

This is so awkward...

She was cute when she thought like that...

I chuckled, "I'm just keeping you away from home like you wanted."

"Are you sure that's the only reason?" she smirked.

Actually, no. I knew that I had more than one reason, but I wasn't about to tell her that.

"Positive."

She made it look like she was thinking and then smiled.

"I guess I'll stay and bare through the awkwardness, but only if you can take me to Kayla's when she gets home."

"Okay. I'm sure she'll like that. She never misses hanging out with us."

"Don't be reading her mind! You better be careful."

"No," I teased.

I wanted to make Sydney feel more comfortable.

Poop head.

"Ooh! Another nickname!" I laughed.

She stuck her tongue out and laughed, too.

We stayed at the park all day and just walked around until Kayla got home. It was nice just hanging out with Sydney alone and getting to know her better without reading her thoughts.

When we finally went to get Kayla, we invited Joe to join us and all of us hung out until it got dark. I had a lot of fun that night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! Chapter eight! I hope you liked. Please comment. Thanks. :D