Stealing Hearts

Don't Hide From What You Want

There comes a moment in life when you have to realize that you no longer know who your best friend is.

The person whom you have spent almost every living minute with becomes a strange entity to you. You do not dare challenge or criticise them for fear of encouraging long buried grudges or arguments to resurface, so instead you carry on living your life as if nothing went wrong, as if everything was the way it had been once upon a time, even if that means living a lie.

Eleanor did not want to admit that she no longer knew who Chloe Rider was. She refused to stand up to the truth of her own ignorance, a remarkable trait in such an attractive and kind spirited girl.

It was only through the harsh truths that George spoke; that Eleanor realized just how little she knew about her friend and how little challenge she created towards Chloe's illness. However Eleanor knew that if she challenged the things that Chloe did it would turn her against herself and this was a risk that Eleanor was not willing to take under so circumstances what so ever.

So with a growing fear inside her Eleanor went about her life as usual and tried to enjoy every moment that she had to spare with George.

After having cleaned up the tell tale signs of their breakfast, George insisted on dragging Eleanor to town where they spent a light hearted afternoon strolling around York hand in hand as the autumn leaves yellow golden and bronze from the trees that lined the cobbled roads in the inner city. George kept a tight hold of Eleanor's hand as if he was terrified that he would loose her in the crowd of all the preoccupied shoppers. He stole light and romantic kisses from her and joined in her laughter when she pointed out another pair of shoes that George should, or at least according to her, possess.

However George's laughter caught in his throat, as he per chance happened to glance into a hairdresser's to his right whilst Eleanor was admiring the mannequins in the Zara shop front.

Even from where he was standing he could see the striking tall figure of Chloe. Her height and frailty marked her out from all the other girls mingling in the salon.

But Chloe's hair wasn't in its standard short white blonde bob style. Instead it was now a luscious colour of brown and lengthy extensions had been placed into her hair, so that the length of the hair swept well down her back, in a way that couldn't but help remind George of Eleanor's hair.

Snapping his head to his right his searching eyes fell upon his beautiful girl friend and with a sharp intake of breath he realised that Chloe's hair was now exactly the same colour and style as Eleanor's.

With two long strides he was back at his girlfriend's side. When the latter realised this she shot George a heart-melting smile that caused any exclamation of horror and wonderment concerning the new Chloe, to freeze and refuse to be made audible.

He couldn't put his emotions into words, something that he usually never struggled with and this was evident in all the songs he had ever written and sung, however when it came to the girl whom he genuinely had such strong and heavy affection for, he tripped and stumbled over words that usually came so easily.

Her smile reminded him of the happy day that they had had so far, and he did not want to ruin her smiles and joys with the description of what he had just seen. It would only frighten and alarm her more than was necessary.

So instead of telling Eleanor what he had just seen, he placed a firm and longing kiss on her lips, and it was gladly received.

They afternoon had worn on pleasantly, with George managing to mask his true anxieties and worries like a professional actor. His preoccupied mood went unnoticed by Eleanor who had always been so used to her boyfriend's frankness that she trusted him to come out with the truth at once.

In the end it was the pitching winds and the arrival of the evening cold that drove the couple back to Eleanor's apartment where the minute they walked in, they turned all the heaters on and piled a mountain of blankets and pillows onto the sofa in preparation for watching the box set of 'North and South' that Eleanor had purchased in HMV with squeals of delight having always been a secret Richard Armitage fan.

George was already sprawled out on the sofa wrestling with his thoughts, whilst Eleanor was in the kitchen making a large pot of tea. However a crash from the kitchen caused George to leap up from the sofa and sprint into the kitchen where the remains of a porcelain teapot, which had been an heir loom from Eleanor's great grandmother, lay scattered across the floor.

Eleanor was stood rooted in the spot, her hands still held out as if she were clutching the tea pot, but her eyes were fixed on the person who was stood in front of her.

Whilst Eleanor had been making tea, Chloe had crept in without bringing the attention of George or Eleanor upon her. With a small smile she had tapped Eleanor on the shoulder, the latter had spun around a half smile on her face thinking it was George. However when Eleanor's eyes landed on Chloe she dropped the teapot, having seen what she believed was her twin.

With complete shock she took in Chloe's newly dyed glossy brown extensioned hair, which was a mirror image of the hair that Eleanor cared for with such pride.

George watched his girl friend grow increasingly pale as she stood their motionless, unable to take her shocked eyes off Chloe, who only laughed and smiled.

"Looks amazing doesn't it?" She asked flicking her hair over her shoulder causing a whiff of salon shampoo to waft towards Eleanor who felt sick to the stomach, and flooded with panic.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes the story re awakens!
I had to add that North and South mention in, I am guilty of having watched ALL four 42 minute long episodes last night and have been convereted to a total Richard Armitage fan. Pwoar so intense I tell you. You can't go wrong with a bit of costume drama.
Feedback for this? I know it's a pretty shoddy update but oh well.
xxxx