Planet Sienna: Start Something

Getting to know you

Aaron and Keira both looked like elves.
Keira had very long dark wavy hair and startlingly light grey eyes, and Aaron was dressed simply, with mussed up sandy blonde hair and blue eyes.
Keira was very slim, but not stunningly pretty, like Genie was. She actually looked a little lost and confused, because her eyebrows were in a contstant frown, even when she smiled, which made me want to laugh but I didn't.
"So you'll be okay with these two?" Liam asked me.
What could I say? I'm a very shy person, but I couldn't just go, "Nah I'll be really awkward." I just nodded numbly.
"Okay, good. I'll only be a few minutes." he assured me.
He took Genie's hand quite forcefully and pushed her into another room leading off the side.
I sat down gingerly on a crate.
Aaron and Keira observed me, weighing me up.
"Hello." said Aaron, finally smiling.
I grinned weakly, "Hi."
"Had a good day?" he asked me. Keira had still said nothing, she just kept on looking at me without any expression in her face.
"I - yes. Yes of course." I stuttered. I couldn't believe this was all happening to me, especially on my first day of school. My mum would be wondering where I'd been all day, obviously someone would notice I'd skived off. I'd go back, but something compelled me to stay.
I live with just Mum. We moved to America because she got a new job, with great pay. She said America was the land of oppertunity, a chance for us to make money, that she'd got sick of living in a council flat on benefits. She also said I'd get a proper education. As long as I was around Liam, I'm guessing that education wouldn't be on my highest list of priorities. I wanted to turn around and run out of Liam's girlfriend's house, I wanted to cry because as long as he and Gene lasted I'd never have him, and I wanted to go back to school and bitch about everyone with Abby and Denise, because I knew that as long as I sounded English they'd worship my pants. But I didn't.
The new house. It was alright I guess, not really a house, it was an apartment but for Manhattan it was very good, a block of 200 moderately posh apartments and we were in number 77. Double luck.
I wondered how on Earth I let myself get led to a crumbling old house on the darker side of New York.
"What do you think of him then?" Keira said suddenly, snapping me out of my thoughts.
"Who?" I asked.
"You know who. Liam. What do you think?"
"Er... h-he's... alright... I guess..." I stuttered again.
"Alright? Or a little more than alright?" Keira demanded.
"Well y-yeah he's pretty c-cool..." I couldn't stop stuttering when it came to Liam. I didn't know what to say to these people, or how they'd judge me.
"Talk properly for God's sake." Keira snorted.
"Okay." I said. Secretly, I was fuming. What right had this girl to tell me what to do? I had a mind to tell her where to go, but fortunately enough for her, I am more polite than that.
"Good. So, Liam. He's nice, of course he is, or we wouldn't talk to him, but he's a complete twat to Genie. He hurts her all the time." Keira said sharply.
"By doing what?"
"Well mainly by messing with her head, bringing different girls here and giving off the impression that he's doing stuff with them, when me and Aaron know he's not. He just likes her reaction when he brings girls round and plays up to them in front of her. He's getting bored of it now though, we think he's going to take it further." said Keira, grimacing, "It's going to be harder to stay friends with him if he does."
"Don't you tell Gene that he's not actually doing stuff with any of them?" I asked.
"Of course we do! We try so fucking hard to convince her! But the thing is she does the whole 'how do you know?' thing, and of course we don't know, but we know Liam very well, and we'd know if he was. Gene only met him about a year ago, whereas we've been his friends for six and a half years now. So we'd definitely know, but, understandably, Gene believes her own mind, and what she sees, rather than our instincts." said Aaron.
"He's probably got you here as a new one, and seeing as you seem to be rather under his spell, he'll play with you for a bit, drain a bit more from his girlfriend." said Keira.
"Oh fuck." I frowned, "Well I'm not trying to hurt anyone, just so you know. He brought me out of school and I couldn't really refuse because I'm new and didn't know what my next lesson was or where it was. My school isn't very organised."
"I know, we go there." said Aaron.
"Well," Keira snorted again, "we go there when we can be bothered. They won't know you're missing, Sienna. Nobody bothers with the register. The teachers are good, but the moral of that school is, if you want an education, then go to it, and if you don't want it, don't waste their time by going and not working. But yeah they usually give you a schedule and a map on the first day at the end so I daresay you'll get yours if you go into the office at half three."
"Oh good. And yes, I know about the optional education thing, it's a rather good factor of that school." I smiled, making a mental note to ask someone for directions to the office when I went back to school.
"We keep trying to make Gene come to school more often, but she doesn't unless it's art. She used to, but that was before Liam started acting up with girls. They were really happy together for the first four or so months, but over the last one or two they've been really off." said Aaron.
I was about to reply to him when I heard a sudden cry from the room that Gene and Liam were in. Then Gene flung open the door, and stalked into our room.
"A break? You want a fucking break, now?" She screamed.
"Yes, Gene, just for a bit, I'm confused about how I feel." said Liam.
"Confused! You're confused are you? No where near as fucking confused as I am!" She cried, then she wheeled around to us, "Do you hear what he's saying? Tell him he's mad!"
Liam gently touched her arm, but she jolted away, and dropped raggedly to the floor.
"It's not forever Gene, and I'll still come round. I want to know what it's like having you as a friend." Liam assured her.
"How long?" Gene said, resignedly.
"One week, to begin with. If I really feel like I need more time, I'll let you know. But for the moment, I still love you, one week. Just to see." said Liam.
"Okay then." Gene whispered, "One week."
"We haven't officially broken up, just a trial seperation." Liam assued her again.
"I think you should go now, Liam, and Sienna you should get back to school." said Aaron, taking charge.
"I love you." Gene said softly to Liam, and he nodded, and said, "I know."
Then he took my hand, and led me out of the house, and strangely enough, the door didn't give us any hassle.
It was all so over-dramatic, I wondered if all of America was like this.

Once we were back at school though, Liam took me aside suddenly.
"I am on a trial seperation with Genie, Sienna, do you know why?" He asked me.
"No." I felt the need to whisper.
He took my face in his hands, and with a look of such tenderness he said, "Because you've made me want you so much, and I hardly even know you."
Then he leaned forwards, and pulled my face to his, and the kiss he planted on my lips was like an electric current right through me.
"Keep your eyes closed." He said, after breaking away. I almost pulled him back, but I was brought up not to be greedy. So I kept my eyes closed, and when I opened them, he was gone.