Time and Distance

...And If I Could Swim

I padded around my hotel room, humming to myself as I packed the things I knew I wouldn't need for my last two days in Paris. I moved systematically- first the kitchen, then the bathroom, then the bedroom. I was in the second stage- the bathroom. I jupmed as the phone rang, laughing at myself.

"Bonjour?" I said as I reached over to set a tube of lipstick inside my suitcase.

"Erm... Yes." A familiar American accent floated over the line, and I twisted the cord around my fingers.

"Hello Billie."

"Oh thank God, I thought I called the wrong number," he sighed, and I giggled at him.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Well, um.... Do you have any plans for later tonight?" My grin spread across my face.

"Not really, I was just going to roam around Paris."

"I was wondering, um... Would you like to accompany me to dinner?" I paused, my stomach doing somersaults.

"Sure, I'd love to." I was grinning like an idiot, but I couldn't seem to stop.

"Okay. I'll pick you up at seven?" I nodded, forgetting that he couldn't see me. "Um... Sara?"

"Oh! Sorry. That would be great."

As we hung up, I shot up and tore through my suitcase, searching for my favorite dress- dark blue and '40s style. I knew I had almost two hours to get ready- much more than I needed, but I couldn't make myself go slowly.

I finished with over an hour to spare, so I went onto the balcony, peering out at the city. Night was falling, yet it was becoming more and more alight and lively. Paris at night had always fascinated me...

I stood on the balcony, lost in my thoughts, jumping when a knock sounded at my door. I scrambled to my feet, then paused to try to calm my heart. I forced myself to walk slowly, willing my heartbeet to match the time of my heels clicking on the tile. I opened the door, simultaneously shrugging on my coat.

Billie stood there, the sight making my breath catch in my throat. My eyes raked over him, over the tight, tight black pants, black collared shirt, red skinny tie, up to the smirk on his full lips. I blushed, realizing he knew I was ogling over him.

"Ready?" he said, the smirk still apparent, making me blush deeper.

"Yes." I closed the hotel door and went off with him, linking my arm in his.

***
"So then the security dude jumps up and tackles Mike! And he knocks out two of his teeth!" We both laughed, and I rested my head in my hands, shaking with laughter.

"Oh my God. Was he okay?" I said once I regained my composure. Billie smiled, and I melted.

"Yeah, he's fine. He's had worse."

We sat and smiled at each other for a while, until the waiter came back, placing the tip on Billie's side of the table. Billie leaned forward, and I subconsciously did the same.

"Does this mean they want us to leave?" he whispered, making me giggle.

"Yes, Billie." He grinned and placed cash inside the envelope, and we exited.

We walked along, arms linked, until we reached the bridge facing the Notre Dame. We gazed up at it in wonder at the cathedral. I had always loved it, but it seemed even more beautiful at night. I leaned up against the balustrade, staring up at it in wonder. I faintly remembered Billie was there, and I glanced over at him, letting my eyes go back to the building.

"Isn't it beautiful?" I asked, my voice soft with wonder.A hand threaded through my hair, resting on my neck, making me look over at the man beside me.

"Yes," he said, his eyes never leaving my own. Suddenly I could not breathe, and we were very close. His green eyes bore into my own pale blue ones. My heart thudded in my chest, so loud I was sure he could hear it.

And suddenly his lips were on mine, and my mind exploded. It was like a firework show in my head. His arms wrapped around my waist, hands crawling up my back. My hands threaded through his dark hair, trying to keep myself from falling. My knees buckled, and his grip tightened, now fully supporting me.

He pulled away, and we stared at each other, both sufficiently breathless. I attempted to stand, but I couldn't support myself, and he smirked at me. I bit my lip and stared into his jade eyes.

Our lips crashed together once again, this time more desperately. His mouth moved against my own, teeth biting my lower lip. I sighed into his mouth and felt him smile.

We pulled back again, and he ran his tongue over his lower lip. My legs finally found their strength, but his arms stayed wrapped tightly around my torso.

***

We walked back to my hotel, hand in hand, not speaking a word, just enjoying each other's company. We walked slow, stopping every so often just to waste more time. We finally arrived at my door around four AM.

I reached into my pocket, searching for my hotel key-card, frowning when I couldn't find it. I swore under my breath and checked my other pockets, still not finding it. I turned towards Billie, slumping against the wall.

"I can't find my card," I said softly.

An hour later, Billie and I lay on the bed in his hotel room, me listening to him recount stories of being on tour. The bed shook with our laughter.

My head rested on his outstretched arm, mahogany hair fanning out, intertwining with his black hair.

His shirt had come slightly unbuttoned, revealing tattoos blooming over his chest. My hand traced one as he continued his story.

I was in heaven, and I never wanted it to end.