The Party Scene

Where's Your Heart?

Chapter 9
Where's Your Heart

Sometimes, people do things, bad things. Things that no one should know about, if it's so bad then why do people do them? This was something Alex couldn't explain. He woke up the next morning entangled in the blue sheets of his bed, he wasn't alone...and that he knew was bad. Laying right next to him was Lena. That's right. He looked over at her and smiled, he couldn't help it. He knew what had happened last night was wrong, and it shouldn't have happened. But it had. Lena was like his drug, he was addicted to her...she made him do things he'd never done. The way she panted his name and when he heard her sigh, he wanted her. He needed her. But he knew it was wrong. He was with Athena. ATHENA. How would he ever explain it to her, maybe she wouldn't care he thought. Maybe just maybe, hell after all she liked him even after he was spotted cheating on Jewelz, maybe she wouldn't understand that it was a mistake just like the last time.

"Hi." said Lena turning over waking up to see Alex staring at the ceiling. She knew what he was thinking, she knew he felt guilty for what had happened. She didn't feel bad, but then again she didn't want to see Alex this way. "What's wrong?" she asked. He faced her and removed a strand of hair that had fallen in front of her face and placed it behind her ear.

"Morning...nothing, well something. We didn't...did we?" he asked.

"No. We didn't. You said you couldn't do that to Athena." She said looking down towards the end of the bed. She couldn't look at him. He was the most attractive guy she had seen. She only wanted him for herself, she'd never felt this way about anyone. And especially anyone she had met so soon.

"Right, right, good." he began. "Something is wrong with you though, I can see it, and feel it." he stated.

"Alex, I really don't like this. Why isn't it me that you're with." she said knowing that she sounded selfish.

"Baby, I am with you... This is all new to me. You're the only one I want to be with. But I think if we're really together things could go out of control, and that's something that I don't want." he replied. Lena sighed and cuddled next to him and slid her hand through his messy hair. He leaned in and kissed her passionately. A few minutes later she got out of bed, and found the few articles of clothing that seemed to be removed from her, and walked on home, leaving Alex alone to think about how much trouble he would be in when people found out what'd happened.

After Lena left Alex to think of all his wrong doings, he began to think of everything else he had screwed up on. He had a wonderful relationship with Jewelz, she had been the only girl he told he's loved and he meant it. Jewelz was the other part of him that allowed him to stay grounded and not get in trouble, and now without her he could already feel his world spinning around, things we're already changing. He was already cheating on a girl that he hooked up with after ending another relationship, how screwed up was that? He knew it was wrong, he didn't know what had overcome him to become this way. Lena was locked up in his head, she was all he could think about. He already missed her laying beside him in his bed. Stop Alex, you're with Athena, someone who could be just as good for you, someone who will keep you're head straight, and keep you from making mistakes. This was his heart talking to him, he knew it was right, the heart was always right, his heart was calling for Athena, and her beauty. But his mind longed for Lena, and her sweet affection. He had both completely different girls, one who would take care of him and love him for who he was no matter what, one that was smart and knew her boundaries. Then there was the girl that would call around midnight just to hear her voice to get an arose. One that would be out till dawn partying, one who liked risk, and fear of being caught, she cared mostly about his looks. Most people liked him for his looks and never bothered to look inside of him and meet his personality. He knew he had to make a choice, but he didn't think that it would be this hard. He cared for both, granted he didn't know hardly anything about Athena, but there was something about her that he knew he could respect and care for, he just needed to give her a chance, Lena was just holding him back. Why did he care for her so much, he couldn't respect her for what she was making him do, she was a big tease, and he knew that much. He just didn't know why he couldn't let her go. That he couldn't answer.

Monday rolled around quickly, and the events of the weekend replayed in Alex's mind, it was on his conscience. He spotted Athena, and his heart began to pound, she didn't know anything, and he needed to be truthful and tell her. She was coming towards him, she had a look of suspicion on her face.

"Hey babe!" he said hoping to make her smile. She however didn't.

"Hi." she mumbled.

"What's wrong?" he asked hoping that she didn't know yet.

"My friends, just talking to me, telling me things...I don't want to believe them. Oh, but I have to get to class." she said without so much as a goodbye or a kiss.

"Things, things aren't good." said Alex to himself. At that time Jack and Rian came up to him, with worried looks on their faces.

"Alex, you look bad..." said Jack.

"You're busted...if the rumor is true." said Rian. People knew already, how was that possible he hadn't told anyone. And Lena wouldn't tell anyone. Or would she. If Alex looked bad before, he looked terrible now. He placed his hands on his face and rubbed it counterclockwise.

"What's the rumor exactly?" he asked.

"You and Lena slept together." replied Rian.

"Ugh, fuck." exclaimed Alex under his breath.

"It's true?!" shouted Jack.

"Shhh, not so loud." said Alex.

"Sorry, so it's true? You slept with Lena, you're naughty." said Jack disappointed.

"Well, yeah, but not exactly. You see, we didn't do it...but she did sleep over." whispered Alex, tugging the two into a corner so no one would overhear.

"Oh, well that's completely different...but still why'd you do it?" questioned Rian.

"She makes me do things..." sighed Alex. "I can't explain it."

"You're going to have to explain it to Athena though..." responded Jack. Alex knew he was right, he was planning on telling her regardless, he'd just hoped that it wouldn't spread around the school, and get to Athena. He wanted her to be the only one who knew. Now he would have to find the right time, and hope that she would talk to him.

"I know...Rian, we're going to be late to class, and Jack you're all the way across the school, you're going to be late too." said Alex trying to keep his mind off things.

"Nu uh, I'm gonna run! Even though the law of the school is not to run. I'm such a bad boy, almost as bad as you Alex!" laughed Jack and started to do what he considered to be running. He could have fooled anyone though. Alex and Rian watched as he went about, he didn't get far, a girl was walking from a doorway, and he ran right into her knocking her books out of her hands. He helped her pick them up and apologized and started to run once more.

The day went on for what seemed a lifetime, the only thing people were talking about was Alex and Lena.
They totally had sex.
Did you hear they did it. I bet he's good, that bitch is so lucky.
They're freshman, and did it, I just hope they were safe.
Isn't he going out with Athena, I bet she's pissed at him.

And it didn't stop there, and it was all lies, he never has sex with her, he was only a freshman, and he had a little thing called morals. It was nearing last period, and he ran into Lena.

"I need to ask you something." she said meeting Alex just before he walked into the room.

"I need to ask you something too." he said. "But you first."

"How does everyone know what happened?" she asked.

"I don't know that's what I was going to ask you, I knew you wouldn't say anything, and I definitely didn't say anything." he went on.

"Exactly...someone told though..." she sighed. "Well I just wanted to make sure it wasn't you. I didn't think it was, but you know things slip." she finished, and walked off.
Just at that time Jack pushed Alex into class, and got close to his ear.

"You shouldn't be talking to her, if you're wanting to be with Athena." he whispered.

"She just wanted to make sure that I wasn't the one who spread this shit. Because you know guys brag...but I told her I didn't. And that was the end of the conversation, one minute max." he explained.

"Well, Athena was behind me talking with some friends and she saw you talking with her, you're not making a good impression." replied Jack. Both boys took their seats and looked up at the clock to wait for the end of the day.

It was finally here, and Athena was waiting by her locker, in a very angry mood talking with a group of people, who were supposedly people called friends.

"I need to know what happened. I don't want a lie. I need the truth!" she exclaimed.

"Look...it happened there's nothing you can do about it. You had to know this was coming...right?" the question was asked.

"NO! Absolutely not, how can you say that. I need answers." she said storming off, she bumped into Alex around the corner, practically in tears.

"Tell me it's not true..." she sobbed.

"It's..." he began.

"Oh Alex...why?" she cried.

"It isn't all true." he finished.

"Really?" she said sniffing.

"Yeah, but..." he paused.

"But what...Alex, please don't..." she said looking more nervous than ever.

"We did things, and I'm not proud of it, she fell asleep over at my house... I know it's bad, I feel like an asshole, and I know that you shouldn't forgive me. I'm not making a good impression on you, and I can obviously see that you're pissed at me." he said feeling completely terrible. "Please don't cry." he said wiping her tears away, and embracing her in a hug.

"Stop..."she said. "Alex...why, why do you like her?" she asked.

"I don't, I like you...I just, I guess I like the thought of her, I can't explain it. But I'm trying to let her go." he explained. "If you'll give me a chance..." he trailed off, looking down at her, and her tearstained face.

"I don't know..." she said, and walked off, filing out of the building and into the parking lot. Leaving Alex all alone in a crowded hallway. He felt so alone. And it was the worst feeling he had ever felt. At that time Jewelz walked by him, and took a double look at him.

"Well...shallow is as shallow does, I really do guess some people don't change...You got what you deserved." she said and trotted off.
She didn't. Oh but she had...how had she known. Payback was rough, and she was on the top of her game. Of course it was her, she was the only one who completely hated him. He didn't know what he had gotten himself into, but he didn't like it. Not one bit.

After school Alex and Jack came home, and just relaxed and didn't have band practice. Today was a bad day, and he surely wouldn't be able to concentrate on anything.

"Jewelz, she's the one who spread it." he said blankly.

"Really? How do you know?" he asked.

"She basically told me after the bell rang." said Alex.

"How do you think she knew." he asked.

"I have no idea. That's what I was hoping you would help on figuring out." he sighed.

"Maybe she's stalking you, and saw you through the window." he suggested.

"Eh, doubtful" chuckled Alex.

"Perhaps a little birdie told her then?" he suggested again.

"Well, if birds could talk, then I would say yes to that." laughed Alex.

"If birds don't talk, then why are people always saying a little birdie told them?" he asked. Alex could only laugh and his best friend. He was always there to make him laugh, even in times like these. The two had been through a lot together, and we're always there for each other through the thick and the thin.

"Power Rangers is on, maybe we can watch that and learn some killer moves to destroy Jewelz for being so mean and starting that rumor." said Jack picking up the remote and turning it to the right station. And that's just what the two did, watched Power Rangers and cuddled on the couch together and had a good time. It for the time being got Alex's current situation off his mind.

A block down the road Samantha was wondering down the street, she couldn't blow off the steam of what happened on Friday night. Her best friend was making out with the guy who she once dreamed of dating, and now that he was back in her life, she was hoping to get that chance. She thought that she'd meant something to him. He'd kissed her, he'd gone speechless over her. Yet, he surprised her with that little move. Or, maybe she came in at the wrong time, and it was Ali who kissed him first, maybe he wasn't kissing her back. She just wished she didn't have to go through this as a freshman. None of the things that had been happening lately should be happening as a freshman. Samantha ended up in front of Amanda's house where she was seen sitting on the porch.

"What are you doing sitting out here?" asked Samantha.

"I'm locked out." laughed Amanda.

"Want to walk with me...?" questioned Samantha.

"Yeah, sure, I have nothing else to do." said Amanda standing up and leaving her bag on the step. The two walked around for some time, silently. But Samantha broke the silence.

"Say...who you like?" she asked,

"Well, I don't really like anyone right now..." sighed Amanda.

"That's a lie, I see how you're always flirting with Rian. You totally like him." she said bumping into her side.

"No, honestly he's like my best friend, that would be weird." she answered.

"Whatever, you totally like him." laughed Samantha, she could tell when someone was crushing.

Back at the Gaskarths, Power Rangers was now over, and Alex and Jack were still on the couch both facing each other sitting sideways indian style.

"I really like Cayden." blurted Jack.

"I know you do! And I think she likes you. You should hang out with her more." said Alex.

"I think she sees me as just a friend though." said Jack frowning.

"Well, if that's the case, give it some time." said Alex giving Jack some advice.

"You're right. And you, you need to tell Athena that Jewelz started the rumor, maybe she won't be so mad." shrugged Jack.

"It still doesn't stop what I did." sighed Alex. The two went on talking, and eventually Jack left. Everyone always left, and it caused Alex to think more and more, if only he thought this much on his school work maybe he would actually get good grades, because right now he would be getting an A+ for most drama caused in their High Schools history. That night, he hoped into the shower, still thinking, still having unanswered questions, and lyrics were coming into his head, constantly. He scrubbed his head harder with shampoo running down himself, his nails digging into his scalp. He needed to end it with one girl. Just one...this wasn't going to be easy. Even though it should have been. None of this should have happened. But he couldn't take back time, no matter how much he wanted to.
"I'm waiting for you to tell me/ That time keeps on passing/ I'm hoping, I'm asking/ To stand by you're side/At least for tonight." He sang, as he began to jot these down in his notebook after getting out of the shower. He'd made his decision. He knew who he was going to choose. It was obvious to him at last.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments, please!
Let me know what you think about this.