Numb

The Realization of Death is Gruesome.

I twiched, eyes shooting open. Everything was a blur and I had to squint my eyes because of the bright sun shining down on me, or at least I thought it was the sun. I continued to squint, hoping the slight burning sensation under my eyelids would cease. I tightly squeezed my eyes shut. For some reason they weren’t tearing up at all.

I realized at this moment that I wasn’t breathing. I gasped, failing to take a breath of air. I began to panic, trying over and over again to take a breath. I couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t breathe, and why my lungs weren’t ready to explode from the lack of oxygen.

I noticed how my whole body was numb, stiff, and cold, as if I'd been sitting in a freezer for hours. Though, I didn’t shiver. My hair was matted to the side of my face and neck. My mouth was dry and my lips were chapped, though I didn’t feel thirsty.

I was so confused, so scared. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me. I couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t feel or do anything. I couldn’t move, not even twitch my finger. I wanted to scream, but I couldn’t. My vocal cords were failing me as my muscles were.

I opened my eyes again to look into the bright sun sitting in the dark sky above me. Why was the sky so dark if it was daytime? And why did the sun look so abnormal? This confused me as much as everything else.

I heard a noise, a door opening and closing? Right after that I heard footsteps aproaching me. I couldn’t tell who it was or where it was coming from, but it sounded like they were coming towards me. That was confirmed the second a tall man wearing a white lab coat and dark glasses came and stood above me. Was I in a hospitol? I couldn’t be. This didn’t feel like a hospitol.

I finally began to see clearly, enough anyways. The supposed sun was nothing but a bright hanging, florecent light. I wasn’t lying on the ground, I was lying on an examination table. The room was filled with unfamiliar objects. What was going on!?

The man didn’t really look at me, didn’t look into my eyes. He didn’t seam all too concerned with my current state. Didn’t seem to care that I wasn’t breathing. Didn’t seem to notice.

I tried to speak once again but failed. I didn’t know what to do, I needed to get his attention somehow and tell him something was terribly wrong here. But there was no way.

Another man, I could hear his footsteps and his voice.

“Another one?” He says.

“Yeah, she just came in about an hour ago,” The first man replies, “Poor girl.”

“What happened to this one?” The other man asks.

“Overdose.” The first man says with a bit of grief in his voice.

That was the moment I realized something almost unbeleivable.

I realized I was dead.