The Annex

Saviors

The sun pinpricked the horizon and everything took the day’s first intake of breath. A guttural, moaning screech disturbed the peace, jolting me from my despondent slumber. I breathed hard, lifting an arm and wiping the salty sweat from the creases of my eyelids. My head pounded and throbbed in agony, my heartbeat providing it with a steady ground base. The screech paused momentarily as I stopped moving and took in my surroundings.

Spray paint cursed the flaking alloy roof and spongy foam spilled out of the scratchy brown seats. A duo of fluffy red and black die dangled from the rear-view mirror accompanied by a long since expired guitar-shaped air freshener. Numerous cans of Heineken and bottles of Corona littered the floor and dashboard, along with several items of male clothing slung over the chairs and curled up between the seats. One lone bra lay lodged at the arm rest along with several articles of make up wedged into the side compartment. I took all this in with long shuddering breaths as recent events flooded back into my mind.

The screeching started again, slicing through the air like a bloody, calloused axe. The alloy frame of the van shivered and I realized the sound was closer than I thought; I winced as it scratched and scraped at the side of the vehicle. I made to pick up my feet and pull them closer to my body but something was holding them down. I looked across to see a studded leather belt fastened tightly around my ankles, locking me to the seat ahead. I groaned, throwing myself backward and cursing in pain as my head connected with the cruel metal of the boot door.

"Mother f-"

The screeching drew closer and I felt it vibrating against my skin through the metal. I held my breath, gritting my teeth and flicking my eyes back and forth between every corner of the van. The screeching stopped abruptly, followed by a loud thump and the hazy bellow of enraged human voices. Another thump, the sound of struggle; more voices. I scrambled into a crouch -burning my ankles on the leather- and peeped hesitantly over the window ledge.

There was a man, sprawled on the ground, shaking a piece of hair from his eyes as he got cockily to his feet. He said something inaudible, produced a key in his outstretched hand and waved it in the air. His stunning blue eyes twinkled as he shifted weight drunkenly to his other foot. My gaze was taken by another presence, another man – a boy even, a little older than me. He stood stock still, legs shoulder width apart, positioned as if ready to attack. His dark hair sprouted perkily over his brow, a fuzz of black grazing the bottom of his chin. He took a step forward, shoving Blue-Eyes by the shoulders aggressively. Blue-Eyes stumbled, his face flashed from brazen to fuming in a quick moment. Fuzz made one last threat, shook his head and turned around to walk away. Blue stalked swiftly up behind him, raising an arm and swinging it clumsily –yet effectively- into the back of Fuzz’s head. I opened my mouth to raise alarm but cut it short so as not to draw attention to myself. Fuzz bent over in pain but regained composure quickly, turning and striding straight into Blue; shoving him vigorously to the ground.

Fuzz then proceeded to beat the shit out of Blue.

Swinging a leg and tripping Fuzz up, Blue leaped to his knees and made to tackle his opponent, only to be kicked mercilessly in the stomach and sent flying into an electricity pole a few steps away. The two got back up, staring each other down like two wolves competing for Alpha, each waiting for the other to strike and counter the attack. Blue flinched, causing Fuzz to fling himself straight into a counter; fist clenched just below the waist, lips turned into a smirk, Blue awaited his arrival.

Fuzz never made it and Blue never made his attack; the two were separated by a barrier in the form of a short, slim girl with a shock of spiky purple-black hair. Scowling up at Blue, she placed her open palm over Fuzz’s chest. Body heaving, Fuzz gritted his teeth and let his arms fall by his sides. Blue swayed inebriated on the spot, face back to its arrogant expression. A group of four other men stepped out from the new sun’s cast shadows and I took in the surroundings for the first time. The van was situated in a great stretch of dehydrated, yellowing grass. In the distance, the grass met gravel and the sun peaked over the rusting tin roof of a gas station, squashed between neighbouring mechanics. A great sense of abandonment was settled over the town, and I knew I was far, far from home.

My attention was once again taken by Blue-Eyes, who had now come so far forward that the girl was being smothered by the heaving of two broad chests. He said something, and Fuzz advanced, only to be forced backwards by the girl in between. Giving him a look of warning, she turned to Blue and snapped something profound. Blue’s eyes hardened and his hands clenched into fists. His lips open slightly to show a set of compressed, greying teeth. He looked about to hit her when another stepped in between. This boy was much bigger than the other two, and he pulled the girl protectively in to his side. He said something, stern but calm, and with a huff, Blue turned and walked toward the petrol station. All shoulders relaxed, and peace was restored. It was then that I realized the big guy wasn’t a complete stranger to me- He was the boy, the one from the previous night.

The one that saved me.

My kidnapper!

He saved me from one thing only to bring me back to something much worse. Just like Ms Finch, just like Ian. From my mother, to the Cathedral, to Bohdana, to Finch, to the streets, to Ian, to the Boy- to here. Here’s to being helpless with no control over my own life. Here’s to being a coward with nothing for comfort but bad attitude.

This time, I wasn’t gonna be saved again, no. This time, I wasn’t gonna wait for a savior, a savior to save me all for himself. And as I worked out of the straps, as I commando crawled to the door and slowly pulled the lock up, I knew it was time. It was time I stopped waiting and started saving myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah, its late and short.
I'm sorry.
Schools being such a bitch.