Status: Completed

Even Forever Doesn't Seem Like Long Enough

"I'm Reading Your Aura"

"Here you go," Brendon smiled as he handed me my drink.

"Thank you," I grinned, watching him sit down across from me, "So, how are you?"

"I'm great, how about you?"

"Not bad, not bad," I nodded back, turning my head to watch the band on the stage briefly.

"So what's this charity thing for?" Brendon asked.

"The same as last time really," I shrugged, "Just people who need the money more than we do,"

"Oh right, cool- So it's the children's hospital and cancer research again?"

"Yeah," I agreed, "I think this is the last charity thing I'm going to do though,"

"Why?"

"They're murder to organise- Well, the space hopper race wasn't so bad because there wasn't much involved but I've nearly ripped people's faces off trying to get all this up and running though,"

"Well I think you've done an amazing job," He complimented.

I couldn't help but smile, "Thank you,"

"And it's worth it too, I admire what you've done here; I could never do something like this,"

"Why not?"

"I don't know, I just wouldn't have the time or the patience,"

I chuckled, "I think anyone can do anything if they set their mind to it or they want it enough because if you want something enough you'll do everything possible you can to make it reality," I lectured, staring down into my glass.

I cast my eyes up and saw him staring at me.

"What?" I frowned.

"That was very philosophical,"

"I'm a deep person,"

He laughed, "I bet you are,"

"Cheers to thinking outside the box," I held up my glass.

He clinked our glasses together and we both took a sip.

"So what else have you been up to? I kept expecting to see you around or bump into you but you seemed to disappear for a while,"

"I've been arranging this thing, haven't I- so I haven't had much time to bump into you," I shrugged.

"But before that, before you went swimming with dolphins you disappeared for a while... I sound like a real stalker now, don't I?"

I chuckled, "No, I know what you mean, I kept wondering whether I was going to bump into you too because we hadn't in a while,"

"So where've you been?"

"Just... Getting myself together I suppose,"

"That's a very vague answer, Amber,"

"It was supposed to be," I grinned.

He shook his head, "I'll take that as an 'I don't want to answer Brendon, please change the subject',"

"Ah, you know 'the tone'," I giggled, impressed by his knowledge.

"All too well," He nodded, "So you like All Time Low then?"

"Oh yeah, I adore them," I paused for a brief second, "In a non-stalker way,"

"I know what you mean," He laughed, "So who else do you like?"

"In music?"

"Yeah,"

"Well, um... Let me think..." I rolled my eyes up to the ceiling and pondered it, "Fall Out Boy, Bowling For Soup, All-American Rejects, My Chemical Romance, Bon Jovi, Green Day and, of course, The Beatles. I'd probably say they're my main ones,"

He smiled, "You have some good choices in there,"

"Some? My dear friend, I think you'll find they're all good choices. I like amazing music, you just don't have your ears tuned the right way," I smirked.

He chortled heartily, "Well that's one way to put it,"

"So what's it like working for a record company?" I questioned, taking a gulp of my drink.

"It's okay I guess," He shrugged.

"Okay? Is that it? I thought it'd be great to work for a company where you get to meet famous people and listen to music all day,"

"There's a little more work to it than that," He noted, "But, to be honest, I'd rather be on the side that makes the music than on the actual business side of it,"

"What like writing music for people?" I became extremely intrigued.

"More like actually being one of the bands signed to a label,"

"Really? So you can play an instrument?" By this point I was excited and very impressed.

"Yeah, I can play bass, guitar and piano," He replied.

"Gosh I'm so jealous of you," I gasped, "I wish I'd learned how to play an instrument,"

"You say that like you don't have time," He chuckled.

My eyes fell to my drink, "So," I swiftly changed the subject, "Can you sing too?"

"People have said that I can," He said modestly.

I smiled, "I bet your voice is amazing,"

"You'll have to judge that for yourself,"

"Is that an invitation?"

"Maybe," He rolled his eyes and I chuckled.

"I'll be holding you to that,"

8.30pm

All Time Low were amazing- Not that I was ever expecting anything less.

My ears were ringing somewhat and so I had to listen closely to people when they were speaking- I looked a little insane at times too because I was staring at people's lips attempting to lip read.

Now, I was outside in the car par with Brendon as the band was getting ready to leave.

"So, it was great to see you again," I shoved my hands in my pockets and shuffled my feet, feeling slightly embarrassed.

"I know, it's been fun,"

"I haven't laughed so much in a long time," I grinned, "Thank you,"

"And you, it was nice to have a proper conversation with you rather than bump into you and only catch a snippet of your life,"

"Yeah, no matter how weird it was you showing up here,"

"I know, I guess someone or something is guiding us to each other," He agreed, "That sounded so sinister,"

I laughed, "I know what you mean though- It has been quite strange that we keep bumping into each other,"

"Fate, maybe,"

"I guess so," I nodded, "Anyway; I'll see you around,"

"More than likely," He stuck out his hand very professionally.

Cautiously, I shook it, "Can you thank the guys once more for me?"

"I think your hundred other thanks' will be enough to show them how grateful you are but sure, I'll tell them," He nodded with a teasing smile.

I blushed slightly, "Thanks," I let go of his hand and said goodbye once more before turning away and heading to the door.

"Amber?" Brendon called after me.

I looked over my shoulder, "Yeah,"

"I... Um... Never mind," He shook his head.

I raised my eyebrows, "Okay then," I said slowly, "See you later,"

"Yeah, bye," He mumbled as he wandered away.

I chuckled to myself and continued towards the door.

Brendon's P.O.V

I cast a glance over my shoulder and watched Amber wander inside before I climbed into the van with the guys and the driver.

"She likes you," Jack stated as I put on my seatbelt.

Alex, Zack and Rian made noises in agreement.

"You think?" I couldn't stop a smile from spreading across my face.

"You should ask her out," Rian added.

"Oh, no, I couldn't do that," I shook my head.

"And why not?" Alex's eyebrow rose.

"Because I don't really have time for dating,"

"Surely you can make some time to spend with a girl you like," Zack spoke up.

"I have a lot of work to do," My eyes fell to the floor.

"Go on, break your routine," Rian nudged me.

"I don't know..." I sighed unsurely.

"You really should ask her out- She won't say no,"

"How do you know?" I frowned.

"Because you can completely tell she likes you," Alex rolled his eyes.

"How can you?"

"The way she looked at you; she looked really hopeful when you called her back to tell her 'nothing'," Jack mocked.

"Really?" I felt my eyes shoot up.

"Yes, for God's sake, would you ask her out? You're just as excited by the concept as she will be," Alex added.

I bit my lip thoughtfully, "Maybe I will,"

Amber's P.O.V
10pm


"I'd say today's been a great success, wouldn't you?" Hannah slung her arm around my shoulder.

"I'd say the same, love," I agreed.

"Everyone's having a good time and we've raised quite a lot I think," She smiled excitedly.

"Yeah it's great," I grinned.

"What's wrong?" She frowned.

My eyes darted around quizzically, "What're you talking about?"

"There's something off about your aura," She gazed at me.

I raised an eyebrow, "I have an 'aura'?"

"Yeah, everyone has an aura," She nodded, "And there's something off about yours,"

"Is there now?" I rolled my eyes and sipped at my drink.

"Yeah, what's wrong?"

"There's nothing wrong, Hannah, not as far as I know anyway," I shrugged.

"But, your aura-"

"Then read my bleeding aura, 'cause I have no idea what it's talking about,"

She stared at me for a while and when I asked her what the hell she was doing she replied- "I'm reading your aura,"

"Since when did you become Derek Acorah?" I teased.

"You're disappointed," She stated after a few seconds, ignoring my previous statement.

"Am I?" I chuckled- But part of me was thinking 'how the hell does she know?'

"Yeah you are. Why are you disappointed?"

"I don't believe I am," I bit my lip and raised my eyebrows.

Suddenly, she snapped her head around in every direction.

"Where's Brendon?" She asked with a teasing tone to her voice.

"He left about an hour and a half ago with All Time Low," I replied, taking a gulp of my drink.

"Ah and so it all becomes clear," She spoke mystically.

"What're you talking about?"

"You're disappointed that he left because you wanted to spend more time with him," She pouted patronisingly.

"If you say so," I retorted.

"Amber, not only am I the new Derek Acorah, but I am your best friend- I know you well, too well almost,"

I cast a glance over to her and she clicked it automatically.

"I knew it, you fancy him!"

"Newsflash! You're slow," I laughed.

"No I'm not, I've known for ages I'm just voicing it now,"

"Sure, whatever," I shrugged.

I ran a hand through my hair and got up, "Drink?"

She nodded and thanked me before I headed for the bar.

As the barman walked away to get my order I heard my name.

"Amber!" Hannah called.

I looked over my shoulder and glanced at her, "What?" I mouthed.

She pointed towards the door and I looked over, a smile suddenly appearing on my face.

Shoving my hands in my pockets, I turned around to the figure that was coming towards me.

"Hey," I bit my lip anxiously.

He shot me a full blown grin that actually almost made me weak at the knees, "Hey,"

"How come you're back?" I questioned, tilting my head to the side.

"Did you not want me to come back?" His eyebrows knotted together in slight sadness.

"Of course I did," I interjected quickly, "Sorry I didn't mean for it to sound like that. I'm glad you're here," I briefly brushed his arm with my fingertips, "I just meant how come you've come back in the sense that I thought you were going home,"

"Oh well... Um... I'm back because I was just wondering if um..." He stuttered, "You'd maybe like to do something sometime, with um... With me,"

I smiled to myself at his nervousness, "Like what?"

"I'm not sure... Like, dinner, a drink, a movie or something," He avoided eye contact.

"Like a date?" I bit my lip to stop a jaw-breaking smile spread across my face.

"Yeah, I mean no... I don't know," He stumbled, "If you'd want it to be," He looked up at me hopefully.

"I-" Cutting myself off, I thought about what I was actually doing, wondering whether it was a good idea.

"I don't know if that's such a good idea," I sighed despondently; I really didn't want to say that.

His eyes fell back to the floor, "O-oh, okay, cool,"

"Oh, Brendon, I'm sorry, it's not that I don't want to, I really, really do, it's just... I don't know if I can and if I can I don't know if I should," I explained, "If that makes any sense whatsoever,"

"Um... Kind of, yeah,"

Suddenly, I felt grip on my arm.

"Excuse us a minute," Hannah smiled, "Don't move," She added before forcing me away from him a few metres so he wasn't in hearing distance.

"What are you doing?" She raised her eyebrow and looked at me with utter confusion but a hint of authority flashed in her eyes, showing me that I had no choice but to answer.

"What do you mean?" I frowned.

"Why did you just turn him down?!" She hissed.

"I think the more important question is why were you listening in on our conversation?"

"I hardly think that this is the issue here- You like this guy, Ambs, go out with him," She urged.

"I think you're missing some details here, love, I can't date people,"

"Why not?"

"Well, the whole cancer thing is the main issue,"

"What's that got to do with going on a date?"

"I told Pete when he asked me out that I couldn't date him because I only had a few months to live and I didn't want to get close to anyone because I didn't want to put myself, or anyone else, through that if they got close to me,"

"Amber, no-one's asking you to marry the guy, one date isn't going to do any harm- If you're not sure then you should tell him about your situation. If he sticks around then you know that he wants to be here for you, not for a girlfriend,"

"It's not what he wants me for, that's the problem, it's him wanting me in the first place. I don't want him to get close to me and then I die and he gets upset, I couldn't handle that,"

"Amber, sweetie, listen to me- It's just a drink,"

"But still-"

"You believe in all that fate stuff don't you?" She interrupted.

"Well... Yeah, but I don't see what that has to do with-"

"Well, don't you think it's funny that the person you happened to speak to randomly on the first day of your new self just happened to end up at our space hopper race, just happened to bump into you after we went swimming with dolphins and just happened to work for the only company that didn't sponsor me that just happened to want to make it up to us? Not only that but that company just happened to assign that same man to one of their bands that they then donated to us for a while," She lectured, "If that's just coincidence then I really think fate doesn't exist,"

"It is very strange," I agreed.

"Maybe you two aren't meant to be a couple, maybe he just comes into play somewhere along the line- Maybe you won't find out the reason he's been planted into your life unless you actually let him be part of it,"

"I see your point,"

"So you should," She finalised, spinning me around and urging me back to Brendon, "Now take it back,"

My eyes flittered up to Brendon and he smiled unsurely at me.

"I take it back," I stated.

"Huh?" He raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"I'd love to go for a drink with you," I explained.

"Are you sure? I don't want you to feel obligated to, I honestly won't mind... Well, I will but I'll understand,"

The corners of my mouth twitched into a smile briefly.

"I want to, trust me," I ensured.

"Great, so when do you want to do it?"

"Whenever's best for you," He shrugged.

"How about now?" Hannah interrupted.

Brendon and I both shot her a look.

"What?" She stated, "You're both free now, there's no time like the present,"

"I um... I'm not sure," Brendon faltered as though he were caught off guard.

"What about this place? I have to help clean up and stuff,"

"Don't worry about it- Leave it to me," Hannah waved her hand dismissively.

"I have work tomorrow," Brendon added.

"It's Saturday tomorrow!" Hannah exclaimed.

"I know but I'm working,"

"Well I'm sure you'll be fine, it's only one drink,"

"Hannah if he's working then he's working, stop trying to force him to come,"

"I'm not forcing him!" She gasped as though I'd offended her.

"Well you're being a bit pushy, if he has to work then there's nothing we can do,"

"Life's too short! Be impulsive Brendon, I'm sure Amber won't keep you out too late," She winked suggestively and wandered off.

I held my face in my hands with embarrassment.

"I'm sorry; she's had a little more to drink than she should have,"

"Don't worry about it," He shrugged dismissively.

"Um... Anyway, so when do you want to go for this drink then?" I got back on track.

He paused for a second, his eyes looking slightly upwards as if he were searching his mind and having an internal battle.

I gazed at him expectantly, a smile on my face being the remains of suppressed laughter at his frustrated expression.

"I agree with Hannah" He spoke eventually, "Let's go now,"

"But I thought you had work tomorrow?"

"It's only one drink, right?" He smiled.

Ninety Minutes and Five Drinks (each) Later...

"I want your phone number!" I announced randomly as Brendon and I sat at a table in some random bar.

A few people turned around and looked at me.

I giggled and grinned at them, "Sorry boys, I'm talking to this handsome young man," My hand fell onto Brendon's.

The on-lookers rolled their eyes and went back to their own business.

"Amber," Brendon began with a smile, "I think you're drunk,"

I shook my head defiantly, "I am not! I'm merry," I corrected.

Chuckling, he stated, "Either way, I think you should stop,"

"I think I shouldn't, I'm not in work tomorrow,"

"Amber-"

His tone had a disapproving tone to it.

"Brendon, listen to me," I spoke, suddenly sobering up somewhat, "You shouldn't worry about me- I'm living my life the way I want to, regardless of the consequences because I want to be able to look back on what I've done on my deathbed and think 'fuck, I did do a whole lot of crazy shit and every single moment of it was so much fun that I can't say that I haven't had a good life'. And right now, I want to drink,"

"That was one hell of a speech for something as simple as 'you shouldn't have any more alcohol',"

I laughed, "True, but I was in the zone!"

He chuckled and shook his head at me, "You're insane,"

"I know, it's one of my many fantastic qualities,"

"Sure it is," He spoke sarcastically.

"Hey!" I gasped, pushing his shoulder playfully, noting to myself that flirtatiousness was also there.

He briefly held his lip between his teeth before shuffling in his seat.

I suppressed a smile at how adorable he looked as his cheeks became pink tinted.

All of a sudden, I heard appalling singing in the distance.

"What the hell is that?" I exclaimed.

"Karaoke," Brendon replied disinterestedly.

My eyes lit up, "Oh my gosh, really?!"

He nodded slowly trying to figure out whether it was a good idea to actually be saying yes.

"Oh, we are so going in there!" I grabbed his hand and, before he could protest, pulled him towards the other room.

I became like an excited child when I saw the karaoke equipment set up on the stage, even though someone who was completely out of tune was shattering my eardrums.

"We totally have to have a go!"

"Ha, that's funny, I didn't know you were a comedian," He laughed, nudging me slightly.

"I'm dead serious,"

He closed his eyes, "I was afraid of that,"

"Oh come on, it'll be fun!"

"No," He shook his head, "It won't,"

"Well, fine, be miserable, I'm going up there," I shrugged.

"Amber,"

"Yeah?"

He smirked at me, "Don't fall off the stage, will you?"

To Do List1. Buy flowers for mum and help them understand.
2. Have a space hopper race.
3. Swim with dolphins.
4. Hold a charity night.
5. Get drunk & sing loud and out of tune on karaoke


Five down, twenty to go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need a little more luck than a little bit
'Cause every time I get stuck the words won't fit
And every time that I try I get tongue tied
I need a little more luck to get me by
I need a little more help than a little bit
Like the perfect one word no-one's heard yet
'Cause every time that I try I get tongue tied
I need a little more luck to get me by this time

Faber Drive- Tongue Tied

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------