‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

One Year, Six Months

Eighteen. Employed. Coffee shops. Loveless.

Edwin. Fired. Home. Loved.

Nineteen. Unemployed. Lonely.

Gage. Still no job. Loved, I guess. Lonely still.

Shit happens obviously.

I sighed, sitting up in bed as I stared at Gage, watching him sleep. With my eyes wide and focused on him, I refused to blink.

"Oh my God!!!!!" Gage shrieked, falling to the floor with a thud as I laughed hysterically. A pillow flew at my face.

Pillow: it's what's for breakfast.

"What's your damage?" I asked Gage, laughing as he tried to even his breathing.

"I met you!" he accused, glaring at me and pointing at me. I smiled.

"Yeah, you were pretty much doomed when you went and did that!"

"No shame," he commented, fixing the blankets on the bed. Well, trying to. "Could you move your fat butt?"

"Nope!" I wiggled in my seat, doing a little dance to make a point. He let out a groan and suddenly I found myself on the floor after doing a back flip. "You could be more gentle about it!" I yelled, in a huff.

He had just done the remove-the-table-sheet-without-upsetting-the-dishes trick on me! Well guess what--Jade go boom! Naturally, of course.

He laughed as he made the bed. I glared at him from my spot on the floor. he glanced at me a few times while making the bed that was more important than helping his love up!

"You never learn, do you?" he asked, helping me up after an hour must have passed!!!

"You never get smart, do you?" I mocked, smiling absurdly.

"Some people have to work, unlike bums."

"A bum whose house you live in, might I add?"

"Oh, you're funny. Well, I'll see you when I get off. I love you."

"I love you, too," I mumbled, pretending to be mad.

"You're so impossibly sexy," he told me, laughing.

"Yeah, I know," I admitted, letting him kiss me good bye.

"Parting is such sweet sorrow," he yelled, walking out of the house. The door slammed and I sat down on the carpet. We had recently installed it, upgrading from the old wooden floorboards.

I sat alone as usual. I had been ever since one year and six months ago. Edwin had been good at keeping his promise, but did that mean he still couldn't stop by every now and then? I knew he was still in the area--I often saw him seducing a poor woman. Little did she know she'd be dead the next minute.

I sighed: loneliness was an awful thing.