‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

The River

"Really? And what would that be?" I asked Edwin, wanting more than anything to be so far away. I feared his answer. I really did.

"Jade, you know I love you, right?" he muttered, looking dead in my eyes. I could have cried.

"I also know that you shouldn't."

"But I do. And I want you to know that if you would just be mine, then all of these living conditions could be changed. You just give me the word."

"Edwin, just tell me what little game you're playing with my head. I'll never be yours." I hated saying that, but if I couldn't say it, why should I believe it?

"Fine. I always liked it better this way." If he was lying, he was a terrific liar. "Jade, remember the main two reasons a vampire hangs around an insignificant human like you?"

"Yes, I do. As I recall you were around for dinner. The other reason you said was disgusting and you would never stoop to that level." I was nervous as hell. Had he really changed that much in one measly year?

"I've changed my mind. You know, this place can get damn dirty very easily. And the number of prostitutes in the work is dropping each day.

"That's a good thing."

"Not for men like me, Jade," he purred.

"Men like you are disgusting," I told him, pulling myself from him. I didn't like where he was going with this.

"Get back here. Now."

"No!"

"Jade, you are to do anything I say and I'm telling you to come back!" he yelled at me, eyes clouding over.

"I don't like this!" I screamed, trying to stop the tears.

"Why not, dear? I love you, my pet," he smiled--the smile I hated.

"Edwin, don't do this," I begged.

"When I want something, I get it," he whispered, grabbing my wrist and pulling me back. "Go to my room. I'm going to speak with Nathan."

I couldn't have made it up the stairs fast enough. I even hoped he heard me crying...