‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Sonny

I hadn't cried so much in a long time. I couldn't believe how much Edwin--my vampire boy--had changed. Was it my fault? I wiped off my ruined eyeliner and looked around his room. It was just how I imagined it--the perfect room for the perfect boy...

I cried just a little more. He was absolutely perfect, but I couldn't ever have him: some gorgeous girl would eventually. And that broke my heart. Why couldn't I be gorgeous for him?

...Because I was selfish and refused to be anything but human.

I probably sat up there alone for an hour sulking. I wondered what they were talking about, but they were guys, so I was a bit happy Edwin made me leave the room. I must have fallen asleep for the next thing I remembered was the the feeling of cold lips on my neck and a perfect boy's body against my back.

"Edwin?" I whispered, praying it wasn't Nathaniel or something.

Instead of a worded response, he just bit my neck gently a few times. I rolled my eyes and turned around in his arms carefully. Thank God it was Edwin who I saw.

"What are you doing?" I asked tiredly. I was not awake at all.

"Sleeping with you," he joked, thinking he was so charming. "But wait, you gave Gage the honor, not me, huh?"

"Edwin..." I sighed. Why was he so impossible?

"You know what? It's okay. Know why?" he asked, sitting up.

"Why?" I hated when he acted like this.

"Because--" he crawled on top of me "--we both know that I'm going to be the one in your pants before too long."

"You are disgusting!" I yelled, sitting up and pushing him off of me. "What has happened to you?"

"What could you possibly mean? Well, other than the fact that the woman I was in love with left me just like that, nothing's happened!" He kind of glared, but there was this weak look in his eyes--like he was about to cry. It really cut my heart.

"Eddy...you know I didn't want to let you go." He just looked so sad.

"Do I?" He turned away from me and his voice got all muffled. "You say it's not me, yet it's what I am and what you're not. Why can't you just be like me? It'd be like Romeo and Juliet. You could die for me!" He turned around and pulled me into his arms. "It was the worst year-and-a-half of my life!" He put his cold lips on my neck. "Die for me, please!"

"But...no! This is not right! Find some vampire girl for yourself!"

"She's in my arms right now. You're but a dose of venom from being mine. For forever. Doesn't that sound nice? Huh? That's how it's meant to be! Just trust me!"

"No. I want to be human!"

He slapped me then. My angel slapped me! I fell back to the floor.

"Hope you enjoy being just a pet! You chose yourself!" he hissed, leaving the room and locking the door.

Too bad for him, no, I wouldn't be enjoying myself. He was getting more insufferable each second. Would I stop loving him eventually?

...No.