‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Stop and Stare

A room gets boring after awhile, let me tell you. I tried to open the door, but I'd never been good at picking locks. So I settled on watching TV, though there was never anything on. Channel surfing wasn't exactly thrilling for me.

"Jade, can I come in?" Nathan called.

"What the hell ever," I yelled back. Even his company was better than none!

"So...why are you staying up here all day? Kind of boring, isn't it?" he asked, sitting next to me on Ed's bed.

"He locked me up in here. Like Rapunzel!"

"What happened to your eye?" He reached out and poked it. I swore like a sailor--it hurt real bad!

"You mean the black one? He hit me. He got mad, so he bitch-slapped me."

"I think he's damn upset right now, actually. How about you go sit with him--at least," he begged, whispering.

"Why should I?" I muttered and he cast me a quick glance.

"Because he loves you. And you love him. So why not make both of you happy?" He was smiling like a madman.

"Oh, fine! If it'll get you to shut up," I told him dryly.

Nathan led me downstairs and I saw Edwin sleeping on the couch. I also saw tears staining his pale cheeks. He looked so vulnerable; so human. I always melted for him when he looked like that. I sat down on the floor and ran my fingers through his silky hair. His eyes opened almost instantly.

"Hi," I whispered, smiling sheepishly.

"Yeah," he muttered, turning away from me.

"Don't do this, Eddy. Please don't turn away from me. Please."

"Why? Why should I do something you tell me to do? You're the one who belongs to me! It's not the other way around, Jade."

"You know you don't want it to be like this," I told him, pulling on his shoulder, begging him to look at me.

"You're right: I don't!" He turned around quickly and I fell backwards. "You seem to, though! Look, we've discussed this. You chose to be a toy rather than my lover. I'll never understand, but it's fun this way, too!"

"You are a terrible liar," I hissed and he laughed, standing up.

"Thank God I'm telling the truth, then, huh?" He was getting all up in my face again. "So, Nate, how long do you think Jade here will stay an Edwin-virgin?"

"I'm not getting in the middle of this," he told him, probably seeing my glare.

"Try forever," I sneered.

"Try a few weeks, tops."

He had definitely changed a lot. I didn't like it at all.