‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Nobody's Home

Time sure doesn't fly when you're busy being a hostage. Though, even a week later, I still thought about making a break for it. I did love Eds and all, but it just wasn't right. It was like he was from the west side and I was from the east. His posse didn't like mine, so we couldn't be together. So I'd watched West Side Story last night. Is it that obvious?

Anyway, Edwin kinda was acting strange lately. He had started...watching me more closely all of a sudden. I wanted to ask, but I didn't want to know, if it makes any sense. It certainly did to me. I did my best to ignore it anyway.

"We're heading out, Jade," Nathan told me, lacing up his converse as he sat on the couch. I sat up and turned off the TV.

"Where this time? A strip club?" I muttered dryly.

He laughed just as unenthusiastically, rolling his eyes.

"Oh yes, I just love seeing them nude white women! Look, we're going out. I'm not sure where--Edwin does, though. You could ask him..."

I knew what he was trying to do. He was like that one friend who was also a friend of this guy crushing on you. He was in the middle and couldn't keep his nose out of it. Like a wingman. He was trying to hook Edwin and me up, but it wasn't going to work. That guy was so thickheaded. And a stubborn boy, too!

"For the last freaking time: no! Nathan, Edwin and I are not going to happen," I told him, a bit mad. I was a naturally moody person, but his constant nagging wasn't helping!

Maybe I have some emotional disorder! Bipolar--that's it. Or maybe I just wanted to go home! Then again, no one would be waiting for me there...since Gage was gone.

Funny to think that he didn't know who I was at all. But maybe, if I was lucky, Ed really didn't make him forget me! I wanted to find out, so I went to Edwin.

"Hey, Eddy," I sang, twirling into our room where he was sitting on the bed watching the TV.

"Jade. What are you doing?" He looked skeptic of my cheeriness.

"Where are you going?"

He also had shoes on as well as a jacket.

"None of your business. So Jade, have you been watching your weight?"

"Excuse me?" I snarled.

He shrugged. "I just wanted you to know. You should put down the fork every now and then, you know? You shouldn't eat to fix problems. You're getting a bit porky, huh?"

"What!" Oh, he did not just say that!

"Don't have to be so defensive. God. Just calm down," he muttered, turning off the TV and leaving the room.

"You wanna play it that way, huh? Fine!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. As soon as the door closed, I leaped out the window.

If he was gonna be a jerk and call me fat, then I was going to go see if Gage really forgot about me.