‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

If I Never See Your Face Again

I really had no clue on where to find the guy. If he had forgotten me, he wouldn't be at my house, right? And if he hadn't, he probably still wouldn't be there since I wasn't. I went home anyway--it was a start at least.

"Gage?" I called out as soon as I opened the door. It had been murder walking all the way home (Ed lived like seven miles away and I had never been "in shape" enough to run miles).

So no one answered. I stepped further in and it all looked the same. Then again, I hadn't been gone for all that long or anything, so it made sense. I looked in every room of the house, but Gage was nowhere. He was definitely gone. But I needed to settle my head and convince myself he had really forgotten me completely.

I stepped outside and locked the door. I didn't feel like walking all the way to Starbucks, so I went to the Java. Maybe the owner could lend me a car. They sure knew me well enough, anyway.

I made my way for the counter and got the usual. I was there, so I decided to enjoy the good coffee, especially since I hadn't gotten it in a few days.

When I turned around I was shocked: sitting at my usual table in my usual seat was my usual boyfriend, Gage. I stared at him and he met my gaze, swiftly pulling up a chair next to him.

"Gage?" I made my way to him and sat down.

"The one and only," he remarked. "So who are you?"

"If you don't remember me, then why are you here?" I asked.

"A girl and I came here once. She sat right here. She was the most beautiful girl in the world, so I couldn't risk losing her--I was going to ask her to marry me. But...she left."

"Why?" Oh my...

Thinking about it, I probably would have said yes to him...

"A guy took her from me. He took more than just her from me..."

"I don't understand," I told him slowly, trying to figure it out as I spoke the words. Was it a hidden message?

"I did something bad, but she never found out. It was three months ago. I wonder if she knows...It'd probably hurt her so much."

"I don't, Gage. I don't know."

"Edwin does. Jade, he knows what I did, no doubt."

"How do you know me? What did you do?" Edwin knew?

"Jade, how could I forget you? You're my world. Little reminders of you were left behind, even though you were gone. I love you so much," he whispered.

"I love you, too. What did you--?"

"Let's go home first."

So we did go. Technically, he carried me home. We all do things we probably shouldn't. Yet, we do it anyway. Let's just say Gage hadn't forgotten how to be really good in bed.

It'll sound really crude, but he might have gotten better. Way better.