‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

You Had me at Hello

I would never forgive him. It'd been three days since the worst day of my life. All I had done in those three days was shiver in torment as I lay in bed. Edwin had held me close and never left my side, but I still couldn't believe what he had done to me.

"Edwin! I don't want to be like you! I don't want to! Stop it!"

"We can be together. And the baby will die--it won't be able to live if it's mom dies, after all.

And he bite down. As soon as he pierced my neck, I screamed. The pain was unimaginable--it was like I had been torched by a million flames. It was way worse than Hell could ever be. I passed out in his arms, and the last thing I heard was Edwin whisper "I love you" in my ear, his cool lips on mine.


So immortality came with a price: it was like having been in Hell for two eternities, but in reality you only experienced three days of it. I don't recommend it.

"Jade, can I come in?"

It was Nathan. I hadn't seen him since I was...human.

"Yeah," I sobbed.

"Oh, Jesus Christ! You're...hot!"

"Hilarious," I uttered dryly. He laughed a little, but it sounded like he was pitying me.

"I'm not kidding. If Edwin wouldn't kill me for it, I would so rape you."

"Thanks...I think. But I feel terrible. Nathan, Gage's baby is dead. I killed it!"

"No, it's not your fault." He pulled me into a tight hug. "Look, everything happens for a reason. Now you and Edwin can be together. That's good right?"

"No! I didn't want to be a vampire!"

"You think Edwin did? He didn't. I bet he would give up anything just to be a human again."

"That doesn't give him an excuse to damn me, too! Or kill my baby!"

"You didn't even want the thing! Really, don't blow things way out of proportion. That's all I'm gonna say."

"What the hell ever," I muttered right as he left my room. The door opened immediately after, and someone pounced on me in a flash. Though--with my new, better vision--I knew who it was all along, even before he spoke.

"Hello, sexy."

Edwin...He looked even more attractive. Damn. It. All.

"Hi, Edwin," I sighed.

"Do you have any idea of how gorgeous you truly are?" he asked, kissing up and down my neck. I resisted the urge to pull my body to his.

"How could you do this to me?" I was trying so hard not to cry. He got off of me.

"Now we can be together. There's nothing wrong about it now."

"I don't want to be a vampire..."

"Too late now. There's no going back, my love. Now, there is one last thing you need to tell me."

"What?"

"Do you love me?" he asked, getting all up in my face.

"No!"

"Let me rephrase. Are you going to be my lover, or will you remain a little toy?"

I hated him, but I loved him. I wanted to be with him, but I was mad at him. I wanted to be his lover, but maybe that was just lust talking. That or maybe I wanted to do terrible things to him. Were vampires lustful? Or maybe I'm just nasty!

"I'll never be your lover."

"Well, Jade, just remember that I don't have to be careful with you anymore--you're no fragile human. And you will be joining me in bed soon enough." And he left just like that.

I didn't know what I wanted anymore.