‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

The Chronicles of Life and Death

When I walked in, the first thing I noticed was that the shop was overrun with vampires. They looked at me once before resuming what they had been doing previously. Except for one, anyway. One vampire chick beckoned me over. I gladly obliged and sat down beside her.

"You look familiar," she told me, looking me up and down. She grabbed a strand of my hair and stroked it once before dropping it.

"I used to come here--as a human anyway."

"Raven hair? Floral scent?" she asked, staring intensely. I shrugged.

"Guess so."

"Yeah, I know you. You were stupid enough to follow a vampire outside. He kept you around, though. You're lucky to have lived that long. I was sure he would have changed you way sooner."

"How do you know this much? And what do you mean?"

"I'm special, you see? I can't read minds like most of my kind, but I can predict the future, as well as see the past. But I'm not always right on predictions."

"That's amazing! So you can tell the future?"

"My predictions," she repeated, "aren't always right--especially when it comes to you. Edwin is always changing his mind on things regarding you. The boy is fickle, Jade. But do you honestly not remember me?"

"I'm sorry, no." I honestly hadn't a clue on who she was.

"I'll let it slide since you think I died. Jade, that day you invited me over, I was heart-broken. I really though you wanted me to be jealous. But I see Edwin was behind it all. Jade, it's me--Quinn!"

"What? Quinn!" I looked her up and down, tears in my eyes. "You're gorgeous!" I threw my arms around her.

"Don't start coming onto me now!" she joked.

"Quinn, I can't believe it's you! By God, I've missed you! Oh my God!" I refused to let her go. "Where are you staying?"

"Hmm, my house, maybe?"

"No! You have to come with me! I hate living with two guys! And I bet you'd like Nathaniel! He's pretty cute. Come on, please?"

"Jade, are you serious?"

I pulled away to look at her, crying.

"Yes! Please, Quinn!" I gave her puppy dog eyes. "You would like Nate--he's sexy! I promise! He could turn a homophobic guy gay!"

"Are you sure I should?"

"Yeah. Come on!"

"I--ok. Fine, I'll do it, but he better be hot!"

Hopefully Quinn could help my lust issue.