‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Basket Case

I knocked on Nathaniel's door. I didn't care if he and Quinn were at it again, I wanted to hang out with my friend. When the door opened I saw a face I didn't expect to see: Edwin's.

"What?" he barked, his eyes glowering at me. I shrunk into myself.

"I'm sorry," I forced out, a bit hurt. "I'm looking for Quinn."

"So what? She's not in here, idiot. So you can go now."

"Is Nathan in there?" I asked, trying to look past him. He pushed me back.

"We're talking."

"Can I see him?" I asked, shaking off his bad mood. "Please?" I wrapped my arms around him, looking into his clouded up eyes.

"No. Now get off of me, you skank!" he yelled, pushing me backwards. I fell onto my butt, staring up at him.

"Edwin...What did I do?" I asked, crying. He stared back coldly.

"Go to our now. I'll join you in a few moments."

"No! I want an explanation! I want--!"

"Go, now! Or so help me, you'll find it very hard to walk for weeks!" He slammed the door and I scrambled to the bedroom.

I sat there on the bed, waiting, for around twenty minutes before he came back. He walked up slowly before changing the pace and pinning me to the bed in a flash, kissing me repeatedly. I didn't respond once: I just stared blankly at him.

"Don't look at me like that," he begged softly, pulling me into his arms as he sat up with me in his lap. I wept lightly. "Jade, don't cry. Please. Don't cry. I love you." He kissed my eyelids as they trembled.

"Why did you call me a skank?" I asked quietly, voice cracking.

"I'm sorry. I just...I'm under a lot of pressure right now," he sighed.

"Why?" I wiped the remaining tears from my eyes and he kissed my lips softly.

"My father called. He wants to meet you and then criticize my choice in women: not whores."

"Why wouldn't he like me?" I asked him, burying my face in his chest.

"I like that," he commented, stroking my hair. "But it's because you're not carrying my child yet and he thinks I've been with you for two years since I never went home after you...dumped me, for lack of a better term. I neglected to mention that you and I haven't had sex yet either."

"Is he coming out here?"

"No. We're going there. A friend of his has a kid who's having a birthday and she wanted a ball."

"When are we heading out?"

"Today. I've already packed things for you and me. Quinn and Nathan should be done soon, and as soon as they are, we're leaving. Unless...you want to make love before we go so we don't cause a scene." I shook my head. "It's okay, then. I understand. They should be done soon, I think."