‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Rock and Roll Girlfriend

"Why does it matter?" I asked when I had calmed down.

"Why does what matter?" Edwin asked, knowing full well what I meant. He was searching the closet for clothes.

"You know what! Why does it matter to him?" I demanded. Edwin sighed, sitting down and seizing my hand in his own.

"He's an old-fashioned guy. He is just...hard to explain."

"That doesn't help. Why did he get so mad when he found out?" I really thought the guy had overreacted.

"Look, I don't know how you were raised, but my dad is quite ancient. When he was a little kid, he was taught to carry out the family name. I'll bet two dimes and hell that he wasn't meant to carry it out as an immortal name, but he did carry it out nonetheless. He thinks that I should have passed it on by now. When he found out we hadn't even tried a single time, he definitely reacted the way I thought he would."

I stared sourly at him.

"I don't like Clarence."

He laughed at that.

"Not many people do. But I hardly see the guy, so be happy about that." He was about to continue when the door opened and a face--a girl's face--peered through.

"Eddie?" she asked with a high-pitched, little kid voice.

"Yes, Monique?" Edwin released my hand and smiled at the little girl as she walked in, closing the door carefully behind her.

"You're coming, right?" she asked, jumping onto his lap. She smiled brilliantly at both me and Edwin. He put his arms around my shoulder.

"Of course I am. And so is Jade."

"That's a pretty name," she told me, giggling. Her smile was contagious. "So you're gonna dance with her? Is she you're girlfriend?"

"I guess so. Though I'm questioning her ability to dance when she can't even walk without falling on her face!"

"I'm right here!" I pouted and he smiled.

"Why, yes--yes, you are," he observed, trying not to laugh.

"Jerk!" I smacked him on the arms and Monique immediately started squirming and wailing like an infant.

"Don't fight, Daddy! Mommy, don't fight!" she cried, clinging to Edwin as tears literally poured out of her wide eyes. But...Daddy and mommy?

"Manny, we're not fighting. I promise, okay?" He held her tightly to him with his free arm. She looked even more fragile next to Edwin. I've got to admit that he looked so cute holding a little girl so close to him. "I'm going to talk to, err, Mommy, okay, darling?" She hopped off his lap after kissing his cheek.

"Sissy's gonna be jealous," she sang, skipping out the door.

"I know," he muttered, turning to me.

"Is she your kid?" I asked, worried. He shook his head, to my relief.

"She calls everyone that. She's of no relation, I promise."

Something had gotten me really riled about thinking of Edwin and some other girl together...