‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Mutt

“How were your daylight hours, my love?” Gage asked as we sat on the bed together watching the television he had only just bought me for my birthday. I smiled faintly.

“I just went to Starbucks.”

“The place we met,” he reminded me, kissing me gently.

“That’s the one,” I told him, changing the channel.

“I can’t say it was an excellent first impression.” A scowl made its way to his face and I frowned. “Why did you tell me that freak was your cousin?”

“I’m not sure. It would seem kind of creepy if we were anything but family. I didn’t think he could pass off as my brother,” I joked. He rolled his eyes and rested his head on mine.

“But I suppose all that matters is that you’re all mine now.”

Haha, well hilarious thing. Sorry but you can’t have all of me. Edwin kind of took my heart with him…

“I love you, too,” I told him, smiling.

“You can read me like a book. So are you in the mood tonight?”

Okay, so he wasn’t faultless. Who am I kidding? The man was a pig!

“No, not tonight,” I told him, yawning to add effect. He sighed, giving in.

He was a pig, but at least he listened to me. I bet Edwin would have made me do it anyway. Ha, but I would’ve said yes... Why was I thinking about him? Edwin, bad! Get out of my head! Bad, dog, bad! Oh my, so maybe intelligence didn’t come with age: mental illness did!

“I have the day off tomorrow,” he told me. “And I would like to spend it with the love of my life, if you don’t have plans, that is.”

Ha, I used to have employment, but Edwin got me fired since he had refused to let me leave the house until he was sure I was done being angst ridden, if you catch my drift. I never liked talking about my mental troubles much. But at least Gage was the kind of boyfriend that was there through the good and bad. That meant when I had issues, he was right there next to me, doing the same thing with me. Edwin had tried to get me to stop and maybe that was healthier... But then again, Edwin was gone.

“I’ve got nothing to do. I normally spend all day sleeping and drinking coffee!”

“How fun. Alright, so Starbucks?” he asked, hugging me.

“Sure,” I smiled, kissing his cheek.

“Then if you’re sure you don’t feel like doing something else, how about we go to sleep?”

“Alright.”

“Good night,” he told me. “I love you, babe.”

“Love you, too, Gage.”

I dreamt about Edwin that night... That’s bad, isn’t it? Oh no.