‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Dear Maria, Count me in

So we stood there, Edwin and Nathalie flirting as if their lives depended on it. After twenty minutes, I was tired of it. I yanked my hand from Edwin's and started walking away. I heard him excuse himself and right after--if not sooner--he had me pinned to a wall.

"Where do you think you're going?" he hissed in my face.

"I'm gonna go find someone to flirt with. I like banging a different guy each week, too!"

"Aren't you cute? You're not going anywhere, Jade," he told me. I rolled my eyes. I wasn't playing around anymore. I kneed him in the gut and walked off.

I saw a guy standing alone, so I walked up to him, aware of Ed's ice cold glare on me as I walked--I could feel it.

"Hey," I greeted him, smiling sweetly.

"Hello, sexy. Can I ask your name?"

"It's Jade. So I'm bored. My friends ditched me, you know? They went to go make out and junk like that. It's awkward, let me tell you! So who are you, stud?"

"I'm William. That sucks about your friends. Well, you and I could go join them, if you want," he purred.

"Nah. I just wanna dance, you know? Do you wanna dance?" I asked, finding any excuse to reach out and touch him as we talked.

"Like, slow dancing?"

"No: I suck at that. I was thinking dirty dancing. The music certainly is easy to dance to like that." I pressed myself to him and I could sense his thoughts falter a bit.

"I'm good at that kind of dancing," he whispered seductively in my ear. "So do you want to dance with me?"

"Jade! Don't you dare!"

Why not? I want to.

"I swear to God that, if you dance with him, you won't be able to walk right for months!"

I already can't, according to you.


"I do." I tuned him out of my head and grabbed William's hand. The song was a good, fast-paced rap song, so it was really easy to dance to. I could sense Edwin's rage and glare the whole time, and that made me feel good. What didn't make me feel so good was how..."excited" William was. But as long as it got Edwin riled, I didn't care.

When the song ended, Will just pulled me close to him, one hand on my lower back.

"Wanna go to my apartment?" he asked, nipping at my neck. It reminded me of Edwin. And that just made me think about how bad I wanted him.

"Yeah," I breathed, not even thinking about my answer. He laughed.

"You're new at this, aren't you? That's okay, love. I've been around the block quite a few times." His lips--cold as they were--were pleasant to my cool lips as they crashed together. My breathing got uneven as my back hit the wall and his hands ran over my body.

"I don't know if I should," I admitted, trying to clear my head.

"For a newbie, you sure have some amazing control. Look, Jade, you won't regret it, trust me," he promised, kissing my collarbone. I wrapped my arms around his neck and legs around his waist. "Loosen up: it makes life easier."

"Right," I agreed.

"Jesus Christ! Get off of her!" Edwin screamed, pushing William off of me. "Why are you such a whore to other guys, but not me!"

I started crying there. I just started crying out of nowhere as I slid to the floor. He seemed caught off guard and his eyes softened.

"I'm sorry. Jade, I want to go. Come on."

He picked me up and carried me as I wept uncontrollably. The only thing that made it better was Nathalie's pouting as Edwin walked right past her.