‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Bottle it up

"Nathalie?" I called out, knocking on every single door in the hall.

There had to be around thirty for chrissake! I just kept marching on, pressing my ear to each door and then knocking. I didn't have to knock on the last one, though, since I heard the shrill cries of a broken heart. I opened the door carefully and peered in to see Nathalie and Monique crying together.

"Nathalie?" I called again, closing the door behind me. She turned away sourly. Manny shrugged, stopping with the tears on the spot.

"What do you want?" Nathalie sobbed, barely coherent at all.

"I came to apologize. I didn't want you to see that, okay? I didn't want to rub it in your face or anything, I swear." I was being as sincere as I could considering I hated the chick's guts.

"Whatever. I bet you were begging for me to come in and see you two at it again!" she cried, shaking her head. I sighed and sat down beside her, looking at my hands as I twiddled my thumbs.

"To tell the truth, we've never had sex, Nathalie. Not once, I swear," I whispered. It was a bit embarrassing to talk about. She looked at me for the first time, a curious look in her eyes.

"But he said you're his mate. And I can smell that you're no virgin. And you recently lost your child." She seemed to enjoy pointing it all out at me.

"That was with another man," I sighed. "Gage. I was with him up until a little while ago. He was the only man I've ever done that with. And I got pregnant, but Edwin made me...this, so I lost it."

"You've gone through quite a bit, huh? I thought you were just a bitch naturally. I had no idea. I'm sorry. So you're not his mate?"

"Well, he seems to think that. I like him, I do, but sometimes I wish I was back with Gage, back in time really, to where life was so simple. And all I had to worry about was making dinner before he got back from work..." I smiled at the memory, but it quickly faded. "But a human and vampire can't be together, as you should very well know."

"Well...you could change Gage and be with him, giving me Edwin," she told me, eyes smiling.

I'd never really gotten that saying until now. And let me tell you, I felt bad to deny her request when I could actually see the happiness in her eyes, they sparkled so much. But it wasn't too hard really.

"Yeah, but I've got the boy wrapped around my finger, you know?" She frowned. "Look, there's someone out there for you. There's always someone looking; you may not even know him yet. I believe there's hope everywhere, you just have to be willing to look forever, in hopes that you'll find it. You may be put through hell trying to find it, but it'll be worth it."

She smiled slightly and Manny got up to hug me before leaving the room altogether.

"Thank you," she mouthed. I knew she had tried to speak, but it just didn't come out. "So...are we okay?"

"Yeah. But I have to get back: the guy's probably crying by now," I smirked. "See you around."

When I got back to my room, Manny walked out, saw me, and ran off somewhere. I walked in and saw Edwin looking so amused.

"What did she say?"

"You're not so depressed, huh? You can manage to give a speech about finding love and hope even though he's been by your side this whole time. I'll never understand you. How can someone so stupid be so baffling?"

I hugged him.

"Oh, how I missed your witty remarks insulting my intelligence," I cried, sarcastic. I could feel his glare burning into my thoughts.

"You are unbelievable!"

"I am pretty rad, huh?" I thought absentmindedly, smiling.

He muttered a few words I didn't care to focus on. I had a few more things on my mind: Edwin, love, and hope. I had pulled that speech out of the air, and I had been thinking about Edwin the entire time.

So what did that say about my feelings for him?