‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Four Become One

I was laying on the bed, staring up at the sterling silver ring that I bad been watching so closely ever since we had gotten home. I wasn't so much as staring as I was thinking. Sure, it didn't always do good for me, but I needed to do it now and again.

I had kept Edwin's promise ring even though we had broken up a good while ago. I just couldn't bring myself to part with it; I couldn't bring myself to part with the memory of us together. I still had feelings for him, and I knew it (I'm not that stupid). Sure I could love him now, but should I? He was the kind of guy who refused to hear a single no, so I wasn't so sure if that could work out.

And Gage came into play as well. I still had some feelings for him as well, but he and Edwin just couldn't get along for ten minutes. I had to stop my thoughts regardless as Edwin made his way to the bed and sat beside me. I stashed the ring under the pillow at the last second.

"I know what you've been doing for the past half hour, Jade. I'm not stupid," he informed me wryly. "But I find it cute that you aren't aware that I have my eyes on you every second of every day."

"I can't have any privacy, can I?" I sighed, stealing the ring from it's hiding place. "Why are you here anyway?"

"Because I love you," he murmured, gently seizing the ring from me. He looked at it for a while before placing it on my finger, frowning. "It still looks unbelievably perfect on your finger."

"Edwin...Don't do this," I begged, taking my hand back from his.

"Why?" he asked, drawing little circles on my back with his fingertips. It was the smallest touch, but it scrambled my mind.

"Because I don't like it," I breathed, trying to get away from his manipulative gestures.

"Not in control now, huh?" he mocked,holding my tightly.

"Edwin," I whined, trying to cry. I was so frustrated: I wanted to love him so much...

"God," he muttered, tearing himself from me. "Jade, just love me: that's all there is to it!"

"I can't! I told you to leave me be, but you did the opposite!"

"Either way you'd be mad! You're mad for me stripping you of your mortality, but if I hadn't you'd be mad at me for keeping you around when we couldn't be anything. Don't you see? I'm screwed no matter what I do!"

There was truth in his words, I knew. He stared at me for a few seconds before kissing my cheek softly.

"I need to do some serious thinking, Eds," I whispered.

"Okay," he agreed hesitantly. "Come get me when you're done, alright?"

"II promise."

"I love you," he told me, hanging on the little piece of hope that I might say it back.

"Not yet, Edwin."

He nodded, closing the door softly behind him.

Okay brain, do your worst!