‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

So Sick

"Where shall I be staying?" Jayden asked me as he walked in front of Edwin.

"Ask Eddie," I told him, holding my stomach. I was so queasy: the guy made me so uneasy. No rhyme intended, people.

"Tonight you can stay in Nathan's room: him and Quinn are out for the night. The rest of the time you'll be on the couch or something," he muttered, casting a worried glance at me. I smiled reassuringly, though I wasn't anywhere near as confident as I looked.

"Until then, what shall we do?" he asked, sitting down beside me, his hand falling carelessly on my thigh. I bit my lip and I saw Edwin inhale deeply, counting backwards.

"I'm not sure," I admitted quietly, fighting the pain I was feeling. It was slowly spreading to my leg.

"Are you okay?" he whispered in my ear, confused.

"Yeah," I choked out, trying to make him shut up before Edwin flipped out about nothing.

"Jade?"

Too late. I looked over at him and innocently asked, "What?"

He didn't say a word, but his eyes scanned over me, searching for what was ailing me. He scowled in confusion, obviously not being able to find anything wrong. He jerked his head to the side, telling me to go to him. I shook my head: nothing was wrong, or at least he had to think that.

"Jade," he demanded, voice stern this time.

I didn't look at him. I let my eyes fall to the floor, focusing intently on it. Anything was better than letting him see the lies I was holding in my eyes.

"Jayden, can we have a moment?"

He didn't give a reply, but he patted my leg and I watched him walk out of the room hesitantly, glancing back at me once before going up the stairs. There was the sound of a door shutting.

"Jade, what is wrong?" Edwin begged, striding up to me, getting on his knees before me, taking my hands in his.

"Nothing," I promised, smiling softly. I kissed him sweetly. "But I do need to use the bathroom." I kissed his cheek before briskly walking out of the room.

I had a fit of coughing as soon as I closed the door. I barely made it to the toilet before I threw up. My throat was on fire; my stomach was being twisted a thousand times; I was coughing up blood; and tears streamed down my face.

"Oh God," I murmured, trying not to cry.