‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Hot n Cold

I woke up to the world shaking around me. It's not a pleasant thing, in case you were wondering. I screamed, grabbing anything near me; anything to make the ride stop! I heard someone yell at me, telling me to calm down and "let go of my friggin' hair!" so I opened my eyes to see Edwin sprawled on top of me, holding his head and groaning about something.

"What's your damage?" I asked, trying not to laugh. It wasn't too hard considering the pain came rushing at me in one massive wave. Like a hurricane!

He looked up at me with murderous eyes. If looks could kill, he would have killed me then! His glare told me the answer, but he voiced it anyway.

"You practically yanked my hair out! What is your problem?" he screamed, getting on his feet and calming down. I merely shrugged innocently.

I looked around and groaned: I knew where we were. Edwin groaned back at me for whining. I fell back onto a pillow, wanting to be asleep again. I didn't want to face his father, let alone be put in his care. He'd probably kill me just as a prank!

"He's not going to kill you," Edwin promised, sitting down at the edge of the bed, ruffling his hair randomly. "But he is going to be here in like two minutes."

I groaned again, rolling onto my side, trying to get away. If I couldn't see anything around me, nothing around me knew I was there! Or so I wished.

"I hate him," I murmured, clutching my side as pain coursed through it.

"I know, but he can help. I obviously can't. Sorry for shaking you like that."

I muttered some remarks regarding him and a passionate night with his mother's fine china before turning to face him. I buried my face in his chest.

"Make it stop," I begged, tears coming to my eyes. I didn't let him reply for I ran to the bathroom quickly, knowing what was coming.

"What's wrong then?" I heard Clarence's voice say, speaking to Edwin. My heart was pounding in my chest and I coughed blood, nervous.

"It's Jade," Edwin told him quietly.

I inhaled deeply and stood up on my wobbly feet as I walked back into the room. Edwin was there to catch me when my steps faltered. I saw Clarence eying me up and down, thinking. He relaxed a bit.

"So you two finally did that?"

"Clarence," Edwin hissed, warning him to shut up.

"Sorry," he muttered. "Jade, come here, if you can."

I looked back at Edwin, not fully sure of this. He nodded, helping me over to his dad. As soon as Edwin let go of me I went rigid, not able to trust Clarence in the least. He ignored it, leading me out of the room and down various hallways with Edwin trailing quietly behind, ready to catch me in an instant.

He led me to a couch and helped me sit down, Edwin at my side in a second. Clarence asked me common questions like where it hurt, how I expressed pain, how long it'd been going on, etcetera. I answered them all truthfully and he grew silent.

"By any chance are you pregnant?" he asked. I shook my head.

"No. That's what I thought it was at first. But the test was negative."

Clarence scowled, thinking deeply about something. He sighed before saying softly, "I have no idea what it is. But I suppose some pain killers could do some good." He got up and strode out. Edwin cast me a worried glance. I couldn't pretend to be confident. Clarence handed Edwin the pills.

"Thank you. We'll be off then," Edwin told him softly, helping me up.

"Wait," he called.

"What?"

"Please," he paused. "Take good care of her."

"I will," Edwin promised, picking me up.

I honestly had not expected to hear that come out of his mouth. I was still in shock as Edwin drove me home in silence.

A smile crept onto my face as I tightened my grip on the pills.