‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Untitled

I think it'd been a week since we visited Clarence and the medicine had been working pretty good. I was standing in the kitchen with Eddie as he got out some of the stored blood he kept in the fridge and poured both him and myself a glass. He downed his in a second. I swirled mine around for a bit before setting it down. Edwin put his hands on my hips and pulled me towards him that way. I smirked.

"The painkillers working?" he purred, nipping at my neck.

"Yeah."

"Would you like to join me in bed?"

"In a bit," I promised. "I'll meet you there: I have to finish this." I gestured to my glass.

"I'll be waiting."

I smiled as I watched him walk up the stairs. As soon as he was gone I grabbed the glass hastily and poured it into the sink. I couldn't drink the stuff: it sickened me. I hadn't let a single drop of blood touch my lips ever since he changed me. I just couldn't bear the thought of a human dying to keep me sustained.

"Jade, what are you doing?"

Damn it: Quinn.

"What do you mean? I'm just not thirsty," I sighed, washing the glass, and putting it back in the cabinet.

"Jade, you like living, right?"

"Of course." Where was she going with this?

"You're not trying to die are you?"

"Uh, no. But Edwin's waiting for me. I have to go."

She seemed hesitant, but didn't say anything else. She walked out the front door.

I shook it off, but I also got a little bit dizzy. I popped a few pills and all was good. I hoped this would stop soon, but I wasn't counting on it. And lately it'd just gotten worse. But I ignored it as I trudged up the stairs, so tired.

Funny, I thought vampires didn't sleep.

I disregarded the thought and stepped into my room. Immediately I was lifted off my feet and Edwin was kissing me. He put me down and started nipping my neck, drawing a little blood. I steadied myself, trying to stay on my feet. But everything was getting blurry. He hadn't drawn a lot of blood, but it was too much.

I collapsed within five seconds. The last thing I heard was Edwin screaming my name in a fit of hysteria. I felt bad and I tried to respond, but the words refused to come as I fell deeper into the darkness that was consuming my vision.

The world went pitch black.